none
My version of Money says it is 14.0.120.1105 can't read files. RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my computer to windows 7. Now I am unable to load MS money 2005 (Intl Version). Although I have a back up under programs with MNY core files, when I click on money.exe, I get this error message "before yu can use Money on this computer , you must run Setup on the money CD or in the directory where the money files where copied".

Here lies the pproblem, I don't have a Money 2005 (intl Ed ?) disk. The only disk that I have is a 2001 Money. I have been using it for so long that I forget whether I had one in the first place. Sunset programs offered on the MS website can't open my files. It says it was created in an incompatible version.

There is a Money 2005 disk for sale in the USA and UK, but will it help me as I am in australia and may need the intl ver. can any one help?? please!

Monday, November 1, 2010 11:29 AM

All replies

• See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/2.aspx. You need the International version of Money 2005. It must be installed from the setup disk: the necessary Windows Registry entries are not created if you just copy the executable files.

You must have had a Money 2005 disk to install from. When you find the disk the installation must be updated online to 14.0.120.1105 to be able to read your data file.

The Sunset versions are only for US Money users.

When upgrading from XP to Windows 7 or Vista there are two points to note, assuming you have been able to install your version of Money:

1. The Money data file must not be in the Programs area. It must be in Documents in your User area or some other unprotected area. Updates and changes to the data will not be saved if the data file is in a protected area.

2. The data file in some versions of Money has been modified by online updates to the original installed version. If this affects you, the online updates must be applied before you can open the Money data file. To do this, make sure you are connected to the internet then right click on the shortcut you use to launch Money and select Run as administrator. This is needed only on the first occasion you launch Money.

See also http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx and be sure to create the backup.

There is now a single discussion group for all regions and versions of Money at Microsoft Money Forum.

Monday, November 1, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Dominic, thanks for the prompt reply. Everything you say here makes sense, and i feel enlighten in terms of the International version, now if only I had the disk I could follow your suggested steps. Do you know if the international version of MS Money is different to the Canadian and/ or the UK version. Hard to tell from what I've  read so far.  I am trying to source a Money 2005 disk (int' ver) as i am coming to teh conclusion taht I have permanetly displaced the original Ms Money 2005 disk.

Kind regards
    Monday, November 1, 2010 1:04 PM
  • It appears that the I must have the Microsoft Money Intl edition. I've tried the Ebay and amazon etc, etc,... to no avail. I will keep on hunting. Thanks for your tremendous help!

Kind regards
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Ed, you need the international verson for Australia. See http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/search.aspx?q=MONEY

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I got solution (I guess) - need MNYCoreFiles and Registry Enteries from version 14.0.120.1105 or 14.0.80.1105 

Step 1 - Install MS Money 2005 on to default folder - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005

Step 2 - Rename folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles  to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles.old

Step 3 -  From 14.0.120.1105 or 14.0.80.1105 version copy folder MNYCoreFiles to :\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\

Step 4 - From Regedit export into file - filename msmoney_reg.reg - My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Money 

Step 5 - Import msmoney_reg.reg into new computer - to overwrite money enteries.

This worked like a charm - I tried all solution on this thread and other thread... but this one works for sure!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:02 AM