Media Center and WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

A small tirade, hopefully out of ignorance and someone will tell me there is a simple solution to my issues:

I just went out and bought a very expensive (compared to a NAS) WHS box for media sharing (in the main). But, now I find out it is not properly integrated with either Vista Media Center nor Media Extenders.

Am I right in this, or am I doing something wrong, but there seems little to no integration with Media Center?

Yes, I can send, share and stream media files, but in an awkward manner. Important things like Recorded TV moved onto the server can only be accessed via the videos area of Media Center (which is a pain in the back side to get to compared to the Recorded TV area which crops up as soon as you open Media Center) and the programs have no thumbnails. Only the name of the series and the date is displayed - which is no good for deciding which programme from a series you have not watched.

Surely these WHS things are used to share media files and surely the assumption is people will want to do that within the best media environment (which is Media Center). Yes, you can make it work, but it is not very convenient.

I have a V2 extender on order and really expected to have a nice Microsoft world of integrated media, server and extender for HD media...instead each will work in a loosely coupled way.

So, the question is – is there an easy solution to getting Recorded TV held on the WHS to show up in the Recorded TV area of Media Centre, with the usual thumbnails?

However, I would prefer a fix that does not involve editing the register and other such stuff that Joe and Jo user should not have to worry about.

I have some other issues, but I will add them elsewhere.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think others have played around and got to work - have a search through the forums - I cant remember exactly where it is but if you search as well for Richard Miller, he is a guru on MC :-)

WHS (v1) is not specially designed to integrate with Media Center, there has been a lot of requests for the v2 product to have more inegration, but obviously as v1 has only just come out its going to be a while yet.

Adrew

Saturday, December 22, 2007 12:53 PM
  • Thanks Andrew...I will look around for the solution - I must admit when I posted I was having a humour failure about WHS, but things like back up and remote access are pretty good - integration with MC, MC extenders and OneNote, some of the basic tools I expected it to work with, is not so good...you live and learn Smile 

Saturday, December 22, 2007 1:08 PM
  •  

How to play recorded TV from WHS in MCE @ http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/forums/thread/2608.aspx

Also there is a mp3 podcast on Storing and Recording TV live to WHS from MCE @ http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/blogs/podcast/archive/2007/08/16/the-media-center-show-119-richard-miller.aspx

Saturday, December 22, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Many thanks - I really appreciate your help

Saturday, December 22, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Richard, thanks for your previous help - but prepare youself for a very basic question!

I can do the reedit element of your guide to how to integrate WHS and media centre...the basic problem I have is how do I run GPEDIT?

GPEDIT does not seem to exist in Vista Home Premium so I assum it is on the WHS somewhere and that I run it within WHS, but I can't see how you find "run" in the WHS Console?

Am I missing something obvious? Probably.

I am guessing that "how do I run GPEDIT" is a more basic question than is usually asked, but if WHS and media centre become mass market, prepare yourself for lots of these types of questions Wink

Really appreciate your help.

Seaslug

Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:58 AM
  • I've not yet followed Richard' guide, but GPEdit is the Group Policy Editor, which controls who has access to what features and elements of a machine. I presume that you need to change settings on WHS, so you'd need a remote desktop connection to run that on your server (Start > Run).

To run the WHS Console - if you're on your desktop PC, just double-click the icon in your system tray; if you're in a remote desktop connection there's a shortcut on the desktop.

Hope that helps!

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:32 AM
  • Ah, I see, I have to access it remotely to get to the start/run function...I was expecting that to be built into the Console and there was a way of running a programme from there. I will configure remote access later on (which I was not intending to use) and give it a go. Thanks for your advice

Seaslug

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:46 PM
  • In normal operation you don't need to use remote desktop and the console provides all you'd need, but you are doing some specific configuration changes to the server, so you'll need to have appropriate access.

There are add-ins that provide the functionality to run anything you want via the console, but it's not built in.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:04 PM
  • @ Seaslug: Here are the Registry settings (for the Vista box) for Home Premium (these are the keys that GPEdit would modify)

GPEdit-equivalent registry settings for Vista Home Premium,
    for sharing RecordedTV (as per Mike's blog, at
    http://thegreenbutton.com/blogs/mike/archive/2007/01/12/158079.aspx):

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters\NullSessionShares = Recorded TV 
    this does the same thing as Gpedit.

also set to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa EveryoneIncludesAnonymous = 1 .

Sunday, December 30, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Thanks for all the advice and help guys - I can't seem to get it to work - but that is OK, I can play the vids from file outside of media centre, and that works just fine for me...just I would like to integrate it with the excellent UI, can't have everything though.

However, I was thinking of ordering a v2 media extender...has anyone yet seen if v2 extenders are plug and play with files held on the WHS? I am sure they will work together otherwise the two latest home media/automation systems from Microsoft would be useless together and I am sure that is not the case.

I think WHS is excellent...I just look forward to Version 2 with a little bit more integration with other MS kit...oh and I love OneNote, so I want that file corruption thing sorted out when possible.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:10 AM
  •  Seaslug wrote:

Richard, thanks for your previous help - but prepare youself for a very basic question!

I can do the reedit element of your guide to how to integrate WHS and media centre...the basic problem I have is how do I run GPEDIT?

GPEDIT does not seem to exist in Vista Home Premium so I assum it is on the WHS somewhere and that I run it within WHS, but I can't see how you find "run" in the WHS Console?

Am I missing something obvious? Probably.

I am guessing that "how do I run GPEDIT" is a more basic question than is usually asked, but if WHS and media centre become mass market, prepare yourself for lots of these types of questions

Really appreciate your help.

Seaslug

You do not need to use Gpedit on the Vista, you use gpedit on WHS, the only settings you need to change on the Vista Home Premium or any Media Center PC are registry settings, see below.

Settings for MCE 2005 or Vista .

On Vista or MCE 2005 Run, "regedit".

1 Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording

Double click the "WatchedFolders" key

Add the UNC path of WHS shared folder. \\Server\Recorded TV

2 Reboot the MCE 2005 or if you have Vista reboot that.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  Seaslug wrote:

However, I was thinking of ordering a v2 media extender...has anyone yet seen if v2 extenders are plug and play with files held on the WHS? I am sure they will work together otherwise the two latest home media/automation systems from Microsoft would be useless together and I am sure that is not the case.

Yes the V2 extenders work with WHS,(I have V2 extender).
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:23 PM