none
Error "The hard drive was not formatted because it is being used by another program or service" RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems adding a new drives.

I keep getting the following error;

"The hard drive was not formatted because it is being used by another program or service. Restart your home server and add the hard drive again"

I have tried a WD 160Gb SATA drive and two Segate 80Gb SATA drives.

This is on OEM PP1 (also tried PP2) on a home build server - 2.6Ghz Intel with 4Gb RAM.

There is a 150Gb IDE system drive and a 110Gb IDE data drive.

Initially everything worked, but I kept getting ACPITABL.DAT problems on boot, in that it wouldn't boot with the SATA drives installed - even though it booted and installed fine.

So I removed all the SATA drives and reinstalled and everything was OK, except I cannot now get the SATA drives added using the console. They are recognised by the system and I can format them with NTFS in control panel.

I tried the mountvol /e fix, but that made no difference.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 8:51 PM

Answers

• The drive is visible in disk management?
    In this case check, if the method in the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool  would help.
    Sometimes also the port matters, to which you attach a SATA disk. On some boards certain ports work only properly in a RAID configuration (which is not supported with WHS).
    Other than that, get the most current drivers for the mainboard chipset and the SATA controllers and install them. If no Windows Server 2003 drivers are available for your hardware, you can try also XP drivers.  Also check for a more current Bios version and try to reset the settings in the Bios to default values.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Till Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:27 AM

All replies

• The drive is visible in disk management?
    In this case check, if the method in the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool  would help.
    Sometimes also the port matters, to which you attach a SATA disk. On some boards certain ports work only properly in a RAID configuration (which is not supported with WHS).
    Other than that, get the most current drivers for the mainboard chipset and the SATA controllers and install them. If no Windows Server 2003 drivers are available for your hardware, you can try also XP drivers.  Also check for a more current Bios version and try to reset the settings in the Bios to default values.

Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Till Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Hi.

This one is driving me nuts.

When I boot up now I get VDS.EXE & VDSBAS.DLL errors in VDS Basic Provider

\\?\PhysicalDrive1

Whenever I attach the SATA drive.

It shows in DiskManagement MSC and allows me to format it.

However, if I try the above mentioned clean with diskpart I get;

Disk Management Services could not complete the opreration.

The MB is stamped P5PP800-MX with AMI Megatrend BIOS and has 2 onboard SATA connections. 

It has an Intel Celeron D 2.66Ghz

Therer is no mention of RAID at either bootup, or anywhere in the BIOS.

I have tried an eTrust eSata 15474 PCI card, that claims to have Win 2003 drivers, but I just cannot get WHS to recognise it.

If I remove the SATA drive, next time I boot I get;

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile.

Then sets up a new profile.

I also tried removing the IDE drives and installing to the SATA as the system drive. 

All I get is cleaning the disk failed catastrific failure 0x8000ffff.

Any helk would be much appreciated.  Thanks.  Stuart.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Can you try to use the diskpart sequence for cleaning within another PC?
    Crashing VDS (Virtual Disk Service) could have to do with a Roxio installation on the server. Did you such? Other than that you might have hardware issues with your mainboard, since the KB article telling about issues with the location of pagefiles is pointing only to Itanium systems.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:44 PM
  • I updated the MB drivers from the manufactures website and got a little further.  I can now successfully clean the disk, but cannot add it to the storage pool as it complains about not being able to create a volume. 

I then searched the logs and found that it was always complaining about the same SATA port, so I changed this and tried one of the older drives that did work.  I could add this SATA drive.  However, upon rebooting the drive was marked as missing.

A reboot and entering the BIOS, not doing anything but pressing F10 to save and exit enabled the drive to be found again.

I have come to the conclusion that it is a hardware fault, not a WHS server fault.  I have now added a new 250Gb PATA drive without any issues.

No, I don't have Roxio installed - this is a clean install.

Since adding the PATA drive I have not had any errors logged.

Thanks for your advice Olaf.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:36 PM