HELP! Lost Administrator password RRS feed

• Question

• Help!  I installed WHS on a test machine over the weekend just to get it set up.  I then powered it down until I could get some things set up on my PCs before installing the client software.  I turned on WHS machine this evening and found that it won't accept the Administrator password.

Should I just bite the bullet and re-install the software again?  Will I get to use the activation code I had used, or will I need a new activation code?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:39 AM

Answers

• Bite the bullet and re-install, if you use it on the same hardware you should be able to use the same code.

Remember your password, or write it down someplace.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:40 AM
  • You will have to re-install. If you have not yet activated WHS, you can re-use your product key. If you have activated, you'll need to obtain a new product key. I believe you can get up to 5 keys.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:46 PM

All replies

• Bite the bullet and re-install, if you use it on the same hardware you should be able to use the same code.

Remember your password, or write it down someplace.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:40 AM
  • You will have to re-install. If you have not yet activated WHS, you can re-use your product key. If you have activated, you'll need to obtain a new product key. I believe you can get up to 5 keys.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:46 PM
  •  

I have had to use WindowsKey for client machines.  I have not used it with WHS but I have used it with Server2003 so it should work.  It works with all flavors of Windows.  Check it out here:  http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

But, I would just re-install if at all possible unless you just can't and have the money for the program, but it does work great.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:31 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You will have to re-install. If you have not yet activated WHS, you can re-use your product key. If you have activated, you'll need to obtain a new product key. I believe you can get up to 5 keys.

It's 4 keys, I believe.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Here is a free alternative.  I have used it many, many times on Win 2000 and Win XP, but have never tried it with W2k3 Server.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It is actually Linux that gets into the SAM files.  Works well and is free. :)

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:50 PM
  • Did you change the name of the admin account???  I did, and I found I was unable to open the WHS console from a remote computer.  I could log in to the console via Remote Desktop, but the WHS console would not open from a workstation.  I changed the account name back to administrator, and voila! the WHS console opens just fine from my workstation.  It's considered a good security practice to rename standard accounts...that shouldn't break the WHS console...
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:05 AM