Windows Product Key Update Tool Did Not Work RRS feed

• Question

• I attempted to fix my Window Product Key with the Windows Product Key Update Tool, but it was not able to fix the problem. Any recommendations on how to proceed? Here are the results from the Diagnostic Tool.

Thanks,

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J2964-DFJT3-KKPPV
    Windows Product Key Hash: opfRdb8rRo9JI5Ff/RvtNlJKfQw=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-7769785-23879
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: M55RCC5
    ID: f8930f76-dec5-4db5-9eed-4f1ea1f9c49c
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Cache refresh Interval: 229723 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): 14
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): 31
    All disabled: 0
    Reminder reduced: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-528-645

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f8930f76-dec5-4db5-9eed-4f1ea1f9c49c</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-KKPPV</PKey><PID>55274-642-7769785-23879</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-329068152-1960408961-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 2400               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030731000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>18503A4F01842052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110416-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edição 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73960-640-0000106-57207</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:50 PM

Answers

•  AnaJ wrote:
    It looks like it is for the home addition...at least that is what the reinstall disk from Dell says on it.

The Windows Product Key Update Tool can only be used if you have the same version of Windows XP as the installed non-genuine version.  For example, if there is a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional installed on your computer, you can only use the Windows Product Key Update Tool if you have a valid Product Key for Windows XP Professional (Full Version...not an Upgrade Version).

If you have a valid Product Key for Windows XP Home Edition, then the Windows Product Key Update Tool is not going to be of any use to you.  In your particular situation, you'll need to use your Dell Windows XP Home Edition CD to perform a "clean Install" which requires a reformat of your hard drive.

How to perform a clean install of Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  

If this does not particularly appeal to you, then the alternative is to visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine , click on "Validate Windows" and when validation fails, you'll see a button to click on that provides instruction on how to acquire a "WGA Kit".  The WGA Kit offered will be for Windows XP Professional (if you are running a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional) and includes a genuine valid Product Key that you can use with the Windows Product Key Update Tool. You'll also be mailed a genuine "Full Retail Version" Windows XP Professional CD.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:51 PM

All replies

• Since you have a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional installed on your computer, you'll need a genuine Product Key for Windows XP Professional (full version).  Please let us know if you indeed have a genuine Product Key for Windows XP Professional.
    Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:20 PM
  • Yes, I have a genuine product key, which ends in 3W6CT. My original version of Windows came from Dell, preinstalled on my computer.

I think the problem started when I brought my computer to a local shop for some service.

Thanks,

Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:31 PM
  •  AnaJ wrote:

Yes, I have a genuine product key, which ends in 3W6CT. My original version of Windows came from Dell, preinstalled on my computer.

I think the problem started when I brought my computer to a local shop for some service.

Thanks,

Is your Product Key for Windows XP Professional or is it for Windows XP Home Edition?

Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:39 PM
  • i have a similar problem - my original version of windows was installed by Dell, I have the product key sticker but the actual windows disk  that Dell shipped me is damaged.  The version of windows i am running right now is not genuine.  

The tool did not work because my product key is for windows home and right now i am running windows pro.  How can I get a copy of windows home so that I can use my legitimate product key?  I have all the receipts showing purchase, I just don't have that backup disk from Dell.

Dell refuses to send me a new disk, they will only SELL me one. 

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:26 PM
  • It looks like it is for the home addition...at least that is what the reinstall disk from Dell says on it.
    Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:26 PM
  •  jillyd wrote:

i have a similar problem - my original version of windows was installed by Dell, I have the product key sticker but the actual windows disk  that Dell shipped me is damaged.  The version of windows i am running right now is not genuine.  

The tool did not work because my product key is for windows home and right now i am running windows pro.  How can I get a copy of windows home so that I can use my legitimate product key?  I have all the receipts showing purchase, I just don't have that backup disk from Dell.

Dell refuses to send me a new disk, they will only SELL me one. 

The Windows Product Key Update Tool can only be used if you have the same version of Windows XP as the installed non-genuine version.  For example, if there is a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional installed on your computer, you can only use the Windows Product Key Update Tool if you have a valid Product Key for Windows XP Professional (Full Version...not an Upgrade Version).

If you only have a valid Product Key for Windows XP Home Edition, then the Windows Product Key Update Tool is not going to be of any use to you.  In your particular situation, you'll need to contact Dell support and order their Dell Windows XP Home Edition Reinstallation CD, then use it to perform a "clean Install" which requires a reformat of your hard drive.

How to perform a clean install of Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  

If this does not particularly appeal to you, then the alternative is to visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine , click on "Validate Windows" and when validation fails, you'll see a button to click on that provides instruction on how to acquire a "WGA Kit".  The WGA Kit offered will be for Windows XP Professional (if you are running a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional) and includes a genuine valid Product Key that you can use with the Windows Product Key Update Tool. You'll also be mailed a genuine "Full Retail Version" Windows XP Professional CD.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:48 PM
  •  AnaJ wrote:
    It looks like it is for the home addition...at least that is what the reinstall disk from Dell says on it.

If you have a valid Product Key for Windows XP Home Edition, then the Windows Product Key Update Tool is not going to be of any use to you.  In your particular situation, you'll need to use your Dell Windows XP Home Edition CD to perform a "clean Install" which requires a reformat of your hard drive.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:51 PM