windows 7x64 and whs pp2 RRS feed

• Question

• i have been using whs for over a year now (I home built mine). I running WHS pp2. I have 2 desktops running win7 x64,1 HTPC runnig Vista Ult 32bit,and a new laptop running x64 win 7. Everything has been working fine until July 19th. the new laptop will not backup sucessfullyall others still backup,no changes have been made to any of the boxes except the laptop updated:Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB972696 (Definition 1.87.162.0) Installation date: ‎7/‎19/‎2010 8:47 PM The laptop still connects to the network. I can connect to anything on the WHS I want, though the connector software from the laptop.The only thing is it fails to backup.The odd thing is the connector software will not repair or uninstall. I've tried to do both. I'm at a loss any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Monday, July 26, 2010 12:13 AM

Answers

• I finally got it working , After the above steps I removed the WHS  connector software . Iuse a program called Absolute Uninstaller  because the control panel wouldn't uninstall it . Then removed the computer from the computers and backup and reinstalled WHS connector now everything works
    • Marked as answer by jim178 Monday, August 9, 2010 10:54 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 10:54 PM

All replies

• Please update your server to Power Pack 3. Power Pack 3 adds additional compatibility for Windows 7 (among other things).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 2:32 AM
  • I'll try that, any ideas why 2 win 7 machines work and the win7 laptop doesn't
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:34 PM
  • I just checked and my whs box is running pp3. window update install it:)problem still exists.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Have you run "chkdsk /r" on all your client's disks?
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Ran chkdsk  /r on my server and the client that won't back up

I still can't get a backup to function on the 1 client

I'm also now receiving back-up service is not running on server xxxx however. all other machines continue to successfully back-up as stated above

any other ideas?

thanks,

Les

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:31 AM
  • I finally got it working , After the above steps I removed the WHS  connector software . Iuse a program called Absolute Uninstaller  because the control panel wouldn't uninstall it . Then removed the computer from the computers and backup and reinstalled WHS connector now everything works
    • Marked as answer by jim178 Monday, August 9, 2010 10:54 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 10:54 PM