I seem to have a major problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have had an HP home server for about 4 years.  Never any major problems.  I have a total of 7 drives attached to the device.  The server is used to store media.  I have all of the critical media backed up to the cloud.  Here is a summary of my issues:

- ability to access media files became erratic - files would play then cut out

- accessing the home server console became erratic

- I was getting notifications that the backup service was not running

- when trying to access the console, it would take 30-40 minutes, then I would get and error that the console could not load - that the problem was an hp[something].ddl file - would you like to load the console skipping this file or retry

- either choice resulted in another error message that said that the backup service could not start and that the console could not start, please reboot the server

- access via RDC resulted in the same issues

- on chance occasions, I can actually get into the console for a minute or two before it crashes, I looked at the storage tab and there are no indications of any hard drive failures

- I powered down, checked all connections, removed all drives, cleaned, checked connections and put them back.

- My main hard drive appears to be making noise

- Now, when I reboot the server, it visually looks like it is working - all the right lights come on and it seems like it should be ok

- it taking 30-60 minutes to become accessible - and access is intermittent

There is a slight chance its the NIC card, but based on the noise I'm hearing, I think my main drive is failing.  My issue is that I can't get any meaningful access to my files or to the console.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Saturday, February 5, 2011 1:38 PM

All replies

• Also

if I were to go out and buy a new home server, could I just plug all of the drives in and be back to where I was?  or is my data gone?  My mission critical files are all backed up but I have many many videos (online DVD's) that I would have to rebuild, a royal waste of time.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Hi, could be one of your drives is running in PIO mode. Please checkout this thread and this one and this one. If your disk controller has dropped back to PIO mode, it's been detecting errors from your disks for a while, and has been stepping back the disk access mode to try to compensate. This usually indicates a problem either with one or more disks attached to the controller, or with the controller itself. After correcting the problem please run chkdsk on all disks in your server

Could also be your system disk is (almost full). Logon to your server desktop and check free space on C drive. If nearly full then check the folders C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs. If these folders contain excessive amount of data you can empty them. If these folders are not the actual problem you can useTreesize free to check which folder is containing all the data. If you want to do this remotely you can use the Program Launcher Add-in. This Add-in provides remote access to the server desktop, explorer and other programs.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:09 AM