"Backup Service not running" after aborted AV install RRS feed

• Question

• I had 2 problems occur more or less simultaneously on my WHServer, and I'm not sure if they are related.

I have an OEM copy of WHS (Power Pack 3) which is being used on an old HP/AMD 3800 X2 with 3 Gig ram. I tried to install (from download.com) AVG antivirus. Each time I attempt to install it, I receive a message telling me I need a license (even though I've downloaded either the free or 30 day evaluation copy).

Now when I start up server console, I get the message that backup services are not available.

Just to make things interesting, a new 2 tb Seagate drive ($69.95 special, you get what you pay for) failed more or less simultaneously. It is so dead that system BIOS does not recognize it.

I have since read that AVG does not work with WHS. Is it possible that the AV software corrupted my backup index? What do I do about recovery of data from the dead drive?  WHS says I will permanently lose the data if I use the WHS console to remove the drive.

If anyone has had any experience with this type of problem, I would really appreciate your help. 
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:17 PM

All replies

• 1.  Server re-installation from your PP3 DVD.
    2.  Avast anti-virus is the one that supports WHS v1.

http://www.avast.com/windows-home-server-antivirus#tab4

3.  The dead drive is most likely unrecoverable unless you want to pay hundreds for professional data recovery services.  Is the drive recognized in BIOS?  Have you connected the drive to another computer and see if anything shows up in the hidden DE folder.

Good luck.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I had 2 problems occur more or less simultaneously on my WHServer, and I'm not sure if they are related.

I have an OEM copy of WHS (Power Pack 3) which is being used on an old HP/AMD 3800 X2 with 3 Gig ram. I tried to install (from download.com) AVG antivirus. Each time I attempt to install it, I receive a message telling me I need a license (even though I've downloaded either the free or 30 day evaluation copy).

Now when I start up server console, I get the message that backup services are not available.

Just to make things interesting, a new 2 tb Seagate drive ($69.95 special, you get what you pay for) failed more or less simultaneously. It is so dead that system BIOS does not recognize it.

I have since read that AVG does not work with WHS. Is it possible that the AV software corrupted my backup index? What do I do about recovery of data from the dead drive? WHS says I will permanently lose the data if I use the WHS console to remove the drive.

If anyone has had any experience with this type of problem, I would really appreciate your help.

BullDawg
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:35 PM