WHS PP2, Xbox 360, and Windows Media Center... RRS feed

• Question

• "Windows Media Center Extenders can access and stream multimedia content stored on the home server. Access permission can be granted on an individual folder basis. Windows Home Server now supports streaming MP4 files, a popular format for high quality multimedia, to Xbox 360 and other devices that support the MP4 format.”

Does this mean I can use the Extender fu nctionality w/o a PC, and go straight from the server? Cause if that's what it means, I can't get it to connect. If its NOT what it means, this is dumb, because you could already do this with mapped rives, and it's nothing new.

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:19 AM

Answers

• "Windows Media Center Extenders can access and stream multimedia content stored on the home server. Access permission can be granted on an individual folder basis. Windows Home Server now supports streaming MP4 files, a popular format for high quality multimedia, to Xbox 360 and other devices that support the MP4 format.”

Does this mean I can use the Extender fu nctionality w/o a PC, and go straight from the server?

No.  In order for that to happen, Media Center would have to be part of the server OS, which it's not.

Cause if that's what it means, I can't get it to connect. If its NOT what it means, this is dumb, because you could already do this with mapped rives, and it's nothing new.

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan

Yes, it could be done before, but now it's a built-in function (so novice users won't have to figure out how MC/MCE works).  Just because you already had it set up doesn't mean everyone else did.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by [Pitta] Monday, March 30, 2009 1:11 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:31 PM

All replies

Does this mean I can use the Extender fu nctionality w/o a PC, and go straight from the server?

No.  In order for that to happen, Media Center would have to be part of the server OS, which it's not.

Cause if that's what it means, I can't get it to connect. If its NOT what it means, this is dumb, because you could already do this with mapped rives, and it's nothing new.

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan

Yes, it could be done before, but now it's a built-in function (so novice users won't have to figure out how MC/MCE works).  Just because you already had it set up doesn't mean everyone else did.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by [Pitta] Monday, March 30, 2009 1:11 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Ok - So its less of a "Feature" and more of a refinement. The only feature would be mp4 support...

Thanks for the clarification! At least MP4 support works to the xbox now!
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:11 AM
  • MP4 support works for the xbox but i still can't get mp4's to play in media center either in Vista or on the xbbox. Why is this?

thx
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:30 PM