microsoft CRM - pre-populating "customer" field in case RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to populate the "customer" field, and possibly others, depending on how the user is setting up the case.  Generally, my users will set up via an "install record" which is related to an "install site"; both are related to account.  The account lookup relationship carries through to the install record to case.

If I could do this with relationship mappings, that would be great.  I think I have the correct mappings set up, but the customer field does not populate.

If I can do this with Javascript, that is okay too, but I don't know the field names to look for to try to code this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    geek
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:31 PM

Answers

• As long as the account and install site are on the install record form as lookups and the install site is on the case form as a lookup, the mapping should work correctly.

Review your mapping to ensure that the account attribute of the install record is mapped to the customer attribute of the case and the install site attribute of the install record is mapped to the install site attribute of the case record.

Also make sure to publish the changes.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, October 2, 2009 5:24 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:59 PM

All replies

• Both the install record and install site are fields on the case form?  How do your users create cases, from the account form, or the install site or install record forms?

Before trying to use javascript to populate the fields, you should try to correct your mapping issues.  It may reveal an underlying issue.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Both install record and install site do not need to show on the case form - but - business logic is:

Account has 1 or many install sites
    Install site has 1 or many install records

Cases should be applied against install records.

Users could select account, then install site, then install record, then new case, but it's a lot of clicking.  It would be nice if users could search for the appropriate install record, and then create a new case, with the customer field pre-populated.

Does this help?

Thanks very much for your assistance.  Sorry for slow response - didn't receive an alert.

Friday, October 2, 2009 4:55 PM
  • As long as the account and install site are on the install record form as lookups and the install site is on the case form as a lookup, the mapping should work correctly.

Review your mapping to ensure that the account attribute of the install record is mapped to the customer attribute of the case and the install site attribute of the install record is mapped to the install site attribute of the case record.

Also make sure to publish the changes.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, October 2, 2009 5:24 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Ok, this is working now - I think I was missing the lookup bit, and spend some more time understanding the relationship mappings.  Thanks!!!
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:47 PM