WHS Doesn't recognize drives added... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've installed PP1 with no problems over a two-day period. However, today I added two parallel IDE drives (giving me a total of 6 drives, with the other four as SATA) and WHS will not show them in the WHS Console, therefore allowing me to add them to the storage pool. If I go to the Computer Management snap-in the drives show up just fine as E: and F:. They are also visible just fine in My Computer.

Does anyone know what might be the problem or have a solution?

Thanks much,

Alan

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:19 AM

Answers

• Please post a bug on Connect; the release documentation for PP1 describes how to do so. Even though my suspicion is that there's something odd going on with your motherboard, it's still possible that you've unearthed a bug in Windows Home Server. Only posting a bug with talq logs will let the team figure out which is which.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 3:57 AM

All replies

• You should post a bug on Connect, including Talq logs.

Once you've done that, you can try using your tool of choice (I use Acronis Disk Director, but you can use anything you like, even diskpart) to remove the partitions from those drives, then see what Windows Home Server does with them after a reboot.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Thanks for the tips Ken.

I deleted the partitions and rebooted and discovered that the Console didn't see the drives. However, they did show in the Disk Management snap-in as unpartioned.

I re-partitioned and re-formatted and upon a reboot discovered usable drives but were unrecognized in the Console.

These are the only two IDE drives on the computer and wonder if that has something to do with it? I also tried to use the secondary IDE port with no luck also.

Any other ideas?

I guess I could post a bug report but I haven't done that before.

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Please post a bug on Connect; the release documentation for PP1 describes how to do so. Even though my suspicion is that there's something odd going on with your motherboard, it's still possible that you've unearthed a bug in Windows Home Server. Only posting a bug with talq logs will let the team figure out which is which.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 3:57 AM
  • Ken,

Thanks for your help. I upgraded the motherboard to a newer model, with a better processor and more memory. Guess what?...no more problem with recognizing the two IDE drives, alongside the four SATA drives.

Should note that I did this to also re-install WHS prior to the expiration of the activation period. I purchased the SW and was waiting on the activation until I had the hardware as I wanted it. It is now activated and I look forward to a few years of reliable operation.

Alan

Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:26 PM