none
Windows 10 doesn't activate, 0xc004f050

Question

• I read that Windows 7 Starter can be upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free.  I downloaded an ISO image of Windows 10 Home 32-bits English and burned it to a DVD. Windows 7 asked whether to run setup.exe, I ran it, and the upgrade appeared to work.

But Windows 10 says it's not activated.

The activation panel displays the last 5 characters of a product ID but the product ID is not mine.

I tried to change the product ID to the ID from the sticker.  Windows still refused to activate, error code 0xc004f050.

The activation panel doesn't give an option to activate by phone.  (Windows 7 Starter needed activation by phone.)

Is it true that Windows 7 Starter can be upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free?  If so, how do I activate it?

(Is there a forum for Windows 10 questions other than the Insiders forums?  I couldn't find one.)

Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• I get the same error code..how to solve it
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Please repost your Windows 10 query to the appropriate WIndows 10 Community forum here... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winactivate

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, August 2, 2015 8:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Mr. Paton,

Thank you for your reply and I will look at the other forum in a minute.

Meanwhile, I saw your reply to someone else here: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/06dca90c-2fe0-4c34-b9e9-86ee5647e84e/invalid-product-key?forum=genuinewindows7

It looks like the same problem I have.  In my case, yes Windows 7 Starter was activated.  I don't know why Windows 7 Starter needed phone activation, but phone activation succeeded three times around two months ago.  The first two successful phone activations came before I figured out that the hard drive was defective, and the third successful phone activation came after replacing the hard drive.

After upgrading to Windows 10 and posting here, I read somewhere else about "slui.exe 4".  In Windows 10 it brought up phone activation which failed.  Microsoft's activation personnel told me I had done something wrong in upgrading but he didn't know what, and he told me to phone a different Microsoft department the next day.  The other department told me that the Windows 7 key SHOULD work in Windows 10, but Microsoft's activation servers are overloaded and I should try again in a few days.

Now, in your answer to someone else, in the link I pasted above, you said a Windows 7 key won't work in Windows 10.

Something is wrong here.  Windows 7 Starter OEM was built in, paid for, and activated.  The upgrade to Windows 10 Home is supposed to be free.

== Addendum ==

In the other forum that you directed me to, a lot of people are having the same problem, so I didn't have to add a posting there.  It looks like Microsoft's phone activation personnel was wrong, I performed the upgrade correctly, and the problem is that Microsoft's servers are overloaded.  I should not try to change the product key to the Windows 7 product key on the COA sticker.  The upgrade installation automatically chose a secret product key and it should automatically activate.  It might take a few days or a few hundred presses of the Activate tab in Settings.

• Edited by Norman Diamond Monday, August 3, 2015 4:45 AM Additional information
    Monday, August 3, 2015 4:14 AM