Cannot uninstall Connector Software on W7 Ultimate 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having a few issues with W7 restore points not being able to revert back to a previous point.  Lengthy investigations on the W7 client forum is pointing to permissions errors on VSS, which we're struggling to pin down (System Writer is not present from the VSSADMIN List Writers command).  As I do not have any other backup software running, and to eliminate any issues with the Connector Software misbehaving with Volume Shadow Copies, I tried to uninstall the WHS connector software but it firmly remains in the "Programs and Features" list.  Running "uninstall" appears to work, but not sure why the connector is still listed as installed?

EDIT:  If I re-run the install program of the shared folder, it seems to think the connector IS still installed and will "uninstall" before reinstalling.

How do I carry out a full and proper uninstall of the connector?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 11:20 AM

Answers

• A "full and proper" uninstallation should be performed by selecting the connector in Programs and Features and choosing to uninstall it. If it doesn't uninstall, it sounds to me like a problem with the host operating system, rather than the connector per se. since it sounds like you have other issues with that computer, have you considered rebuilding it? Either restoring a Windows Home Server backup or reinstalling everything from scratch?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:56 PM

All replies

• Ref this post in the W7 forum .  (Error event id 2 - Kernel Event Tracing - Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xC000000D)

In my attempt to make sure the WHS software is at the latest revision, particularly PP3, I uninstalled PP3 Beta and refreshed the client connector to the older version.  I then updated WHS to PP3; and again refreshed the client connector.

On both occasions of the connector being re-installed (refreshed) and within 1 second the service being started, this event error occurred.  (Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xC000000D)
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}" /> 
      <EventID>2</EventID> 
      <Version>0</Version> 
      <Level>2</Level> 
      <Task>2</Task> 
      <Opcode>12</Opcode> 
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords> 
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-25T19:31:39.153604800Z" /> 
      <EventRecordID>312</EventRecordID> 
      <Correlation /> 
      <Execution ProcessID="6040" ThreadID="2176" /> 
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel> 
      <Computer>RJC-WIn7-64Bit</Computer> 
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="SessionName" /> 
      <Data Name="FileName" /> 
      <Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225485</Data> 
      <Data Name="LoggingMode">5</Data> 
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    Couple this with my long running issues with W7 restore not working properly , I am of the opinion that this WHS connector error is far from benign.

Any gurus out there who can assist in solving this irksome problem?

Thanks.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:19 PM
  • A "full and proper" uninstallation should be performed by selecting the connector in Programs and Features and choosing to uninstall it. If it doesn't uninstall, it sounds to me like a problem with the host operating system, rather than the connector per se. since it sounds like you have other issues with that computer, have you considered rebuilding it? Either restoring a Windows Home Server backup or reinstalling everything from scratch?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

Looking back at the events log suggests the errors were happening immediatley on install of W7 Ultimate 64bit.  All WHS backups have the issue saved with them!  I did a restore the other day, but it didn't help.

As I did a clean new install from scratch just before Christmas (so I would have time to reinstall and configure 32Gb of programs), and bearing in mind the issues I believe have been there from day#1 but not noticed until I tried to undo a system restore the other day, a reinstall from scracth is no guarantee I'll be any better off.  I had hoped with some assistance we may be able to fathom out why 64bit appears to be having a few issues.  I wonder if an in-place upgrade may refresh the system but keep my installed programs?  But then again, it may be one of the installed programs which is at fault.

I had hoped there may have been a cleanup util to remove the client connector if all was not well.  Or at least a semi-manual procedure.

Oh and I've just disabled the WHS connector service and removed the tray app for "testing".....  and I get the same error!  Arrgh!  Also yesterday I had managed to get rid of CAPI2 errors, but since reisntalling the connector software they have reappeared.  And VSS errors.  There is definitely an issue with the client!  Perhaps I was too hasty to point a finger at the WHS bits.  But as that is the only bit of software that I know of which also uses shadow copy, I am not sure what else could be interfering with the W7 restore points.  As it is at the moment, windows updates won't even install properly ecuase of the restore issue.

Perhaps back to the W7 thread for an answer!

Perhaps close this one off Ken?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Mr Incredible,

Have you solved this nagging problem?  I have same error popping up in Event Log and also had problems with install and uninstall of connector on this and several other PC's when I set up WHS 2011.

Hutch
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:51 PM