How to permanently archive a backup RRS feed

• Question

• There is a backup for a particular day for my laptop that I want to be able to save indefinately and restore files from. How do I move it to DVD before WHS automatically deletes it? How do I restore files from it later? 
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    I think, if a backup is flagged as keep it will be kept out of automatic management and stay as long as you don't change the flag or the Backup database gets corrupted.
    The only other chance is to restore it to a partition and then use another tool to backup the content of this volume (i.e. imagex from Vista WAIK or a 3rd party disk imager).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Olaf is correct that you can flag the backup to be kept in the console, and it will be kept forever. However, the design of the backup system is such that any damage to any part of the backup database may cause the loss of the entire database. As a result, the safe thing to do is to treat the database as essentially fungible. This means that you should not use it for an archival tool.

I would agree that restoring to a physical disk, then using a disk imaging tool like Acronis or even the Microsoft tool he pointed you to, would be a better bet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    I think, if a backup is flagged as keep it will be kept out of automatic management and stay as long as you don't change the flag or the Backup database gets corrupted.
    The only other chance is to restore it to a partition and then use another tool to backup the content of this volume (i.e. imagex from Vista WAIK or a 3rd party disk imager).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Olaf is correct that you can flag the backup to be kept in the console, and it will be kept forever. However, the design of the backup system is such that any damage to any part of the backup database may cause the loss of the entire database. As a result, the safe thing to do is to treat the database as essentially fungible. This means that you should not use it for an archival tool.

I would agree that restoring to a physical disk, then using a disk imaging tool like Acronis or even the Microsoft tool he pointed you to, would be a better bet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:16 PM