missing the third computer to set up the printer sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I have my circle set up with two laptops and a desktop. One of the laptops is my hub. The desktop is connected to the printer with USB. It shows all three computers that are in my circle. The Hub Laptop only shows the two laptops and not the desktop. I get the more information message when I right click the printer icon. On the desk top the message is stop sharing this printer with the liveone icon. This means that the printer is set for sharing. But why is the desk top not showing up on the hub laptop to finalize the printer sharing. Thank you for your help on this matter.

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:16 PM

Answers

• Stephen,

I am good as gold.

What I did was to actually load the HP software for the printer on to the laptop that I use. I then had to reconfigure the firewall with checking off the sublet. I restarted the computer and all is good for my circle and printer sharing. Was I suppose to have the printer software on there from the very beginning?

Also, with my Inspron 1520, I am thinking of upgrading three items. I wanted to go to N draft, add Bluetooth for synching up, and I thought I should have added a S connection from the beginning. Are these three items something I can do by myself?

Thanks, Hope Dell makes a great rebound. I understand they are going to start to sub contract their computer manufacturing with third parties. That can't be too good. I think they make a great product now - and have great help desk employees.

William

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:16 PM

All replies

• Are all three computers activated with the same LiveID for your subscription? The fact that the laptop does not see the desktop in the Circle, leads me to suspect that the desktop is not on the same subscription LiveID as the laptops. Open OneCare on each computer and go to Help/About... to see the subscription ID and OneCare version. If the desktop is not using the same LiveID as the two laptops, reinstall OneCare on the desktop.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Steve,

All three computers are using the same subscription ID and the same version, Virus, and Firewall. When I go to the printer tab  and refresh, the desktop does not see the hub laptop at all, nor the laptop seeing the desktop.

Friday, August 29, 2008 2:11 PM
  • You can have multiple PCs acting as a hub, so let's try this:

Make the other laptop a hub to see if all 3 PCs are shown in the Circle there.

You can also make the desktop PC a hub to see if all 3 PCs appear or not.

You can then demote any of the hubs by clicking the link on each PC under Your OneCare Circle to "stop making this PC a hub PC"

I think it may be worth reinstalling OneCare on the desktop PC.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 3:07 PM
  • The second laptop is away on business. I am going to reinstall Windows LiveCare when I get a chance. Thank you for your help.

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:40 PM
  • You're welcome. Please do let us know if the problem is resolved by a reinstall.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Stephen,

After returning from a nice long Labor Day weekend, I tried a few things:

1. I uninstalled Live One Care on both my desktop Dell XPS 420 and laptop Dell Inspiron 1520, both running XP Home.

2. I reinstalled Live One Care on both insuring that I have the same subscription ID, One Care version, Firewall version, and Virus version. The product ID is different it appears even though I used the same disc.

3. I have left both as the hub - the second laptop is still away till next Wed, that one is not a hub

4. The printer is connected to my desktop and when I right click the printer icon I get the one care icon with the "stop sharing  this printer " which means the printer is set up to be shared

5. The desktop shows all three computers in the circle, the laptop only shows the two laptops, not the desktop. The laptop also does not show the shared printer, just the image printer icon.

6. I have a HP 3210 All-in-one printer, and all the drivers are up to date.

I am stuck trying to have my laptop find the desktop - and also to begin sharing the printer. Not sure where or what is wrong with creating my circle.

Help!

Also, Is Windows Defender neccessary to have running with the One Care? I also have theCCleaner which I run. Do you  reccommend any of the new featured microsoft downloads to add?

Thanks for your help,

William

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Hello, William.

I'll answer the easy question first.

Windows Defender's protection is included in OneCare and expanded upon, so Defender is disabled when OneCare is installed and it won't install if it sees OneCare on an XP machine.

I would use caution when running any registry cleaner such as CCleaner, though I have used it many times in the past. I do not run it as a matter of course, only when attempting to resolve an ongoing PC problem.

For the original problem, I'm at a loss to understand why your laptop, which has been confirmed to be on the same subscription and can be seen from another machine in the Circle, does not see the desktop PC when the laptop is a Hub. There is a thread in the public newsgroup for OneCare that sounds very similar to your issue, though it doesn't involve sharing the printer and in that case the PC that isn't "seen" by the hub is a remote PC. That remote PC can see the other Circle PC's when it is made into a hub, just as your desktop sees the laptop.

I unmarked your post from yesterday as answered, so that the thread remains open. Since I have someone looking into the other similar issue, I'll forward this thread information to him, too. If we need some more information or logs, I'll post back.

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Stephen,

Could it be possibly something to do with the firewall? I have read several threads where people need to deactivate the firewall for communication purposes. Not sure. I was going to try to uninstall and then reinstall one care again.

Do I need to add the printer to my laptop with the printer's disc onto the laptop, I have not done so as of yet. I saw threads discussing network connections and checking certain boxes off, not sure which ones I should check off though.

Thanks for the help, and look forward to getting this taken care of.

William

Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:08 PM
  • At this point, if you wish to configure the printer sharing manually, you can do this via Windows.

On the desktop PC, go to the Printers entry in Control Panel and select properties for your attached printer. Select Sharing and follow the instructions to share the printer on the network.

Then, on the laptop, use the Windows Add printer wizard to find the shared printer. Note that all of this is outside of OneCare.

If the printer cannot be seen when using the setup wizard, then the OneCare firewall may need to be configured on one or both machines per the following:

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

Your basic problem is the oddity of the laptop not being able to see the desktop when the laptop is a hub. It should see all 3 computers in your Circle when it is made a Hub PC within that Circle. The Printer Sharing feature is apparently also not working between these PCs for pretty much the same reason that the Circle/Hub feature isn't working properly on that laptop.

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Stephen,

I'll try this and get back to you:

1. I am going to try to uninstall and reinstall One Care on the laptop

2. Try to set up printer sharing through Windows

3. if needed reconfigure the firewall in One Care as per your instructions

4.try to figure out the oddity of the basic problem with the laptop

I saw a removal tool for uninstalling OneCAre and wiping it completely out. Is this tool still usefull to run or has that been updated since then?

Thanks for everything.

William

Friday, September 5, 2008 5:08 PM
  • The cleanup tool is still valid if OneCare does not uninstall cleanly. You should not need to use it. I look forward to reading your results. I will likely be away from the forums for the weekend, so don't despair if you post and I don't respond. ;-)

-steve
    Friday, September 5, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Stephen,

Enjoy your weekend, work hard play hard. 

I have uninstalled on laptop - ran the cleanup and reinstalled. Still see only the two laptops on my laptop and all three on the PC. Going to set up printer manually on windows and reconfigure firewall if need be.

Friday, September 5, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Stephen,

I am good as gold.

What I did was to actually load the HP software for the printer on to the laptop that I use. I then had to reconfigure the firewall with checking off the sublet. I restarted the computer and all is good for my circle and printer sharing. Was I suppose to have the printer software on there from the very beginning?

Also, with my Inspron 1520, I am thinking of upgrading three items. I wanted to go to N draft, add Bluetooth for synching up, and I thought I should have added a S connection from the beginning. Are these three items something I can do by myself?

Thanks, Hope Dell makes a great rebound. I understand they are going to start to sub contract their computer manufacturing with third parties. That can't be too good. I think they make a great product now - and have great help desk employees.

William

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Glad to read that all is now well. Typically, the printer software would only bee needed for extended functionality of the printer, but it may well be that your printer does not have a driver in Windows so that you would need to have that driver installed on any PC that will use the printer. I would have expected OneCare Printer Sharing to inform you that the printer was available, but that a driver needed to be installed.

For your Inspiron -

1. you can purchase a USB wireless network adapter that support N

2. You can pick up a bluetooth adapter that plugs into USB. I just got a "micro" sized one made by Kensington that barely extends from the USB port.

3. I don't know what an S connection is. S-Video? No, you can't typically add this, but there may be a USB docking station available that offers S-Video out.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Thanks for everything - you've been a great help. OneCare has been great now that I got the printing sharing set up. I look forward to the updates and the potential of Onecare.William

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:55 PM