Windows XP validation for a School Times 400 RRS feed

• Question

• I work in an Education institution.

I have what looks like the same problem as most people, except I’m getting it on hundreds of machines.

We use a site copy for all our Windows XP installs and we control the updates so everyone gets the same updates at the same time.

For a little while machines are saying they might not be genuine, I was not planning on updating them for another month because the school year is not over yet.

The problem does go away for a little while because we have deepfreeze installed and that’s just after a re-boot.

But when it comes back, the students have to log off and let the machine restart.

So……Is their any way I can resolve the problem using a GPO?

Thanks,

Rusty

YRDSB

Friday, May 18, 2007 5:42 PM

Answers

• Rusty,

Previous responses by Microsoft staffers to posts similar to yours pretty much tell this tale:

1.  An interactive user with Administrator credentials is required to run/install the WGA Notification update once it is downloaded onto a system.  After that the system will be fine until the next planned release of the next version of WGA Notifications, which IIRC is on a 90- or 120-day cycle.  Since you are saying that the WGA Notifications update is throwing a notification, that would mean the update was installed, so would that mean your students are running the computers with Administrator credentials?

2.  Since it's almost impossible to send admins to 400 computers in most cases, you do NOT want to deploy WGA Notifications in such a scenario.

3.  Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) is the MS-preferred way to deploy updates to a large fleet, since WSUS can be set to filter WGA Notifications so that it's not sent to the fleet.

Can you tailor the way you feed updates to your fleet so that the WGA Notifications update does not get deployed?

Just to "take the temperature" of one of your boxes that's throwing a nongenuine notification, can you do the following  steps?

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Friday, May 18, 2007 6:31 PM

All replies

• Rusty,

Previous responses by Microsoft staffers to posts similar to yours pretty much tell this tale:

1.  An interactive user with Administrator credentials is required to run/install the WGA Notification update once it is downloaded onto a system.  After that the system will be fine until the next planned release of the next version of WGA Notifications, which IIRC is on a 90- or 120-day cycle.  Since you are saying that the WGA Notifications update is throwing a notification, that would mean the update was installed, so would that mean your students are running the computers with Administrator credentials?

2.  Since it's almost impossible to send admins to 400 computers in most cases, you do NOT want to deploy WGA Notifications in such a scenario.

3.  Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) is the MS-preferred way to deploy updates to a large fleet, since WSUS can be set to filter WGA Notifications so that it's not sent to the fleet.

Can you tailor the way you feed updates to your fleet so that the WGA Notifications update does not get deployed?

Just to "take the temperature" of one of your boxes that's throwing a nongenuine notification, can you do the following  steps?

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Friday, May 18, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Hello - pardon me for jumping in.  I'm in a similar situation at work. 

Our master XP images are tainted with WGA, and workstations are updated via WSUS or not at all.

None are allowed access to the internet.

More than half the workstations running an XP2 image more than three months old has one problem or another implicating WGA.

Taking the master image on the internet to get it's udpates from windowsupdate, then pushing that to the problem workstations works, but takes a lot of time and effort.

From what I read here, there is no going back with WGA.

Is there a solution for us?

Saturday, May 19, 2007 3:48 PM