Circle status not updating after removing adaware RRS feed

• Question

• I use onecare at home with my PC and my wifes laptop.

We also use it at work with all of our workstations.

At home I got the "remove conflicting programs" message on my hub PC telling me the laptop had adaware installed on it.

I removed adaware and got green on the laptop. After several days the status had still not updated on the hub pc and it still showed the status as red. I got so tired of seeing the red status that I finaly turned off the hub functionality on that PC.

A few days later I got the same warning at work. I removed adaware from the indicated workstation and have the same problem. It has now been about a week, all PC's are green but the hub still shows the one as "at risk" and says I need to go to that PC and remove the conflicting program.

How do I get my circle back to green status on the hub PC.

This must be a widespread problem because I have seen it twice in completely different environments.

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:39 PM

Answers

• I've seen several reports of this incorrect status message so far, but don't know the reason or the cause. In theory, the circle computers are supposed to submit their status quite regularly to the OneCare servers and to the hub, if it is on the same Local LAN. And, the hub receives the status from the OneCare servers regularly, too.

Since your hubs are not updating the condition of this warning, I suggest that you contact support.

Alternatively, reinstall OneCare on the hub PC - which is, of course, the "hit it with a hammer" approach, but will require you to reconfigure everything for OneCare on that PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, February 11, 2008 1:52 PM

All replies

• I've seen several reports of this incorrect status message so far, but don't know the reason or the cause. In theory, the circle computers are supposed to submit their status quite regularly to the OneCare servers and to the hub, if it is on the same Local LAN. And, the hub receives the status from the OneCare servers regularly, too.

Since your hubs are not updating the condition of this warning, I suggest that you contact support.

Alternatively, reinstall OneCare on the hub PC - which is, of course, the "hit it with a hammer" approach, but will require you to reconfigure everything for OneCare on that PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, February 11, 2008 1:52 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

I've seen several reports of this incorrect status message so far, but don't know the reason or the cause. In theory, the circle computers are supposed to submit their status quite regularly to the OneCare servers and to the hub, if it is on the same Local LAN. And, the hub receives the status from the OneCare servers regularly, too.

-steve

I was on the point of starting a thread myself on this very issue. Again I ran a scan with AdAware on the circle machine and the incompatible program message came up on both machines (circle + hub) having removed the offending program the circle machine came up green but the hub would not change from red, even after reboots of both machines.

I took the circle machine out of the hub which prompted an activate message so I did a reinstall on the circle machine and have now excluded it from the circle. So I do not have a circle enabled at this time.

The reason I ran the scan was because both machines had "Cleanator" popups, a trojan which OneCare had failed to intercept.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:45 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience. I have no new information on why the status on the hub is not updating in these case.

If you have details from the AdAware scan that shows the Trojan you were infected with, and perhaps the quarantined infection, could you submit that to the Anitmalware team - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=662566&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:14 PM
  •  

Thanks, I have advised the oneCare Antimalware Team.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Thanks very much for submitting that.

Hopefully, we'll get some information on why the hub isn't updating status correctly in some cases so you can get back to having one PC be a hub.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

I wanted to update everyone - thanks for reporting this issue. We're actively investigating it and should have a resolution soon.

Thanks

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Thanks, Mona.

-steve

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:30 AM
  • I encountered the same problem with McAfee Site Advisor which I have since removed. I have also come to feel that any and all other security apps aside of One Care are just time wasters that do not provide any further security but they do waste system resources, slow a pc, create conflicts and generally as such waste my valuable time that could be spent just using my pc for work, fun or whatever. I posted about this at length on page 4 of the McAfee site advisor thread if you are interested.

Now for the good news. I was able to solve this issue on my two systems and retain the primary PC as hub. Since this appeared to be an issue involving communication and updating between the two One Care installations I thought I would try to promote a refresh of info in a way that might best make that possible without problems. To that end I did the following.

1.) Shut down and off both PCs completely.

2.) Boot up the client PC from which I had removed the offending program.

3.) Allow the second PC to fully boot and settle into an inactive stable state. It is essential that boot be completely finished with everything that autostarts including and especially One Care, already up and running.

4.) With other PC now running and fully booted up I then started the primary hub PC that had been giving me trouble with a red icon for One Care.

What I found when I did this was that after the second system had booted up and settled a short time later One Care got the message and the icon went to green.

So in short shut off all involved PCs, boot the client(s) first and let them completely come up. Then boot the hub PC. Hopefully this will also work for more people than just me. It did resolve the problem here and its remained resolved for over a day now.

I hope that is helpful. It will be nice when the team isolates and corrects this bug but for now if I see it again that is the gameplan. ;-)

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:38 AM
  •  

DirtyHarry50,

I tried what you are suggesting and I still have the problem.

My Circle status has remained red for about a month now...

My hub PC still says I need to remove the confilcting program on the other computer, but that computer shows it's status as green with no problems and adaware HAS been removed...

I dont know what else to do, at this point I have stopped using any PC as a hub... I just dont use the circle monitoring anymore. Every PC show green as long as it is not a hub.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:54 AM
  • It's interesting that it worked for me and not for you. I have no idea why that would be although I don't question what you are telling me. Thankfully it is a known issue to the development team and they are working to fix it so hopefully sometime soon this bug will be isolated and corrected. Then you can return to using a hub again. I'm sorry that didn't help. I know how frustrating software issues can be. I am glad you were able to at least find a workaround for now even if less than ideal. It's just a matter of time now for them to find and fix this I think.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:03 AM