WHS and Desktop Use RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario where I am considering WHS, but the room in which I'd place it would require attaching a USB scanner device. The scanner is functioning as a copy machine with a USB printer.

The software for the scanner runs on the desktop and requires user interaction. I understand that this is not recommended on the WHS console.

Is this a problemmatic situation, or can I safely use the WHS desktop login to run the scanner software?  (I'd rather not run from room to room to change copies and then scan using remote desktop login)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:10 AM

Answers

• Perhaps you can try to connect the scanner on MHS and set shared, and install the scanner driver on your other remote pc. This way, you may not have to login your MSH to scan. I have a usb-connected printer on my MHS shared and never have any problem. Good luck. -jin
    • Marked as answer by Jimbo Mx Monday, November 30, 2009 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:25 PM

All replies

• You should not use Windows Home Server as a desktop computer. It's not designed for such use, and the risks to the stability of your server are much greater than you may at first think.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jimbo Mx Monday, November 30, 2009 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Perhaps you can try to connect the scanner on MHS and set shared, and install the scanner driver on your other remote pc. This way, you may not have to login your MSH to scan. I have a usb-connected printer on my MHS shared and never have any problem. Good luck. -jin
    • Marked as answer by Jimbo Mx Monday, November 30, 2009 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:25 PM