How to rebuild WHS' file system RRS feed

• Question

•  

Here's my situation:

I had one 120 Gb drive and one 200 Gb drive. 200 Gb (secondary only storage) drive has failed so my PC won't boot up. I've disconnected it and the WHS started.

Through the WHS console I've removed the missing drive. It said that no files were lost (which was rather strange).

Then I found out that some files were actaully missing, but the FS record still existed, So I saw them in i.e. //server/videos but was unable to copy or stream.

How can I repair this?

Thanks in advance,

BR, Nick

Friday, May 16, 2008 6:56 AM

Answers

• Nick,

If you didn't have duplication enabled, then the Repair option won't be available, sorry. The tombstones cannot be used, as they are only 4K pointers to the lost data, not data in their own right.

As you've recovered the data from the other drive, you will now need to do a re-install of the system, it's the only way to remove the now obsolete tombstones etc.

I guess the next step is to buy a matching pair of data disks!

Sorry,

Colin

Saturday, May 17, 2008 9:44 AM

All replies

• Nick,

Firstly, did you have duplication enabled for your folders? If so, a copy will be available on your C: drive. However, it sounds as though all you are seeing, is the pointers for those files on the failed drive. If you did have duplication enabled, have you ran Repair, as this should check all tombstones and re-link them to the available files.

If you can get the 'old' drive to work at all, it would be worthwhile connecting it to another computer as it's only an NTFS format, and see if you can recover any files that way. Also, possibly running something like Spinrite  to see if it can repair the drive enough to clear it.

I guess it's not much help now, but personally, I reckon a minimum of three drives are essential. One will only have the operating system on it, while the other two would have copies on each of all the shared folders.

Colin

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:08 AM
  • Thanks, Colin.

Duplication wasn't enabled.

In the WHS console I can't choose repair. And the backup service doesn't seem to work even when I manually start it from administrative tools.

How can I repair this and force "Repair" on the tombstones?

I did recover my files from the failed drive, but my goal now is to fix the WHS' file system.

BR, Nick

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:45 AM
  • Nick,

If you didn't have duplication enabled, then the Repair option won't be available, sorry. The tombstones cannot be used, as they are only 4K pointers to the lost data, not data in their own right.

As you've recovered the data from the other drive, you will now need to do a re-install of the system, it's the only way to remove the now obsolete tombstones etc.

I guess the next step is to buy a matching pair of data disks!

Sorry,

Colin

Saturday, May 17, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  

I lost a drive, hard lost. No recovery available. Ok, I lost some data, it wasn't duplicated because it was replaceable, however, after re-installing WHS using the rebuild option, all the tombstones are still there. How can I get rid of these?

Steve

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:33 AM