Music files on WHS, iTunes used to manage, problem updating some files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a strange, repeatable problem with iTunes in combination with my music files on a WHS (duplicated) share. My iTunes is installed on the client PC, the iTunes library itself is also on the client PC, the music files themselves are on WHS.

Here is what I do:

1. Copy a newly ripped directory with an album full of mp3 files to WHS (with the file explorer of my Vista 64 client).
    2. Drag/drop the folder with the music files from WHS to the iTunes window. This causes the music to be added.
    3. Do an update which affects the entire CD (e.g. add an album cover, or set a flage like "part of a collection").
    4. Most files get updated on the WHS share, one to 3 do not.
    5. I can repeat the update, sometimes 1-2 more files get updated, often I can never change one of them in the end.

To circumvent the issue, I copy the files back to my client and delete them of the server, then I add the local files to iTunes and perform the change, then I copy the files back to the server and re-import them to iTunes.

It is not a permission issue, since I can freely copy or delete the files on the server. Also, I never got any sort of error message, not from the WHS console and not from iTunes or Vista.

What could this be? How can I debug this issue?

Thanks! Martin

P.S. WHS is fully patched, so is the Vista 64 client, iTunes is on the newest version as well.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:20 PM

Answers

• With the help of WHS support we figured it out: If media sharing is enabled in WHS, newly added music files may become exclusively used by the WHS for a while. If I try to update their ID3 Tags at this time, there will be a sharing violation and the update fails.
    Apparently, iTunes silently ignores such errors.

Anyway: If you have your music files on WHS and manage them from a client with iTunes, don't share them!

Regards, Martin
    • Marked as answer by Tinue Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:12 AM

All replies

• Tinue said:

Hello

I have a strange, repeatable problem with iTunes in combination with my music files on a WHS (duplicated) share. My iTunes is installed on the client PC, the iTunes library itself is also on the client PC, the music files themselves are on WHS.

Here is what I do:

1. Copy a newly ripped directory with an album full of mp3 files to WHS (with the file explorer of my Vista 64 client).
    2. Drag/drop the folder with the music files from WHS to the iTunes window. This causes the music to be added.
    3. Do an update which affects the entire CD (e.g. add an album cover, or set a flage like "part of a collection").
    4. Most files get updated on the WHS share, one to 3 do not.
    5. I can repeat the update, sometimes 1-2 more files get updated, often I can never change one of them in the end.

To circumvent the issue, I copy the files back to my client and delete them of the server, then I add the local files to iTunes and perform the change, then I copy the files back to the server and re-import them to iTunes.

It is not a permission issue, since I can freely copy or delete the files on the server. Also, I never got any sort of error message, not from the WHS console and not from iTunes or Vista.

What could this be? How can I debug this issue?

Thanks! Martin

P.S. WHS is fully patched, so is the Vista 64 client, iTunes is on the newest version as well.

Hi Martin,

Please submit a bug for this. I see the same behavior.  It updates part of the ID3 tag but not the entire tag. If you change the album art and the compilation info, it only changes the art, etc.

You can submit a bug by registering yourself on Connect and then joining our program.

Once you're in the program, you'll find the feedback form here.

Thanks!

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Ok, ID 381730. I couldn't upload the logs, because the WHS toolkit doesn't work on a Vista 64 client.
    If logfiles are needed I can upload them via the "attach files" part of the form.

• Edited by Tinue Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:43 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:26 PM
  • With the help of WHS support we figured it out: If media sharing is enabled in WHS, newly added music files may become exclusively used by the WHS for a while. If I try to update their ID3 Tags at this time, there will be a sharing violation and the update fails.
    Apparently, iTunes silently ignores such errors.

Anyway: If you have your music files on WHS and manage them from a client with iTunes, don't share them!

Regards, Martin
    • Marked as answer by Tinue Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:12 AM