Disable requirement to sync passwords RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way (registry hack or otherwise) that removes the baloons that keep asking me to sync my password with the server?

I'm not going to sync my passwords so can I turn this requirement off/get it to stop nagging me?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:04 PM

Answers

• For now there is no way - sorry. We will look at this for next version or an update.

Related question - since you do not want to have same passwords on different boxes - what would you say about roaming profiles? I.e. functionality when you come to different boxes but see all the same setings?

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:49 PM

All replies

• I belive there are two ways around this:
    a) bring up the console errors, and check the box for that error saying 'ignore this error'
    b) if you set the password level to the lowest setting, I belive it doesn't warn you anymore.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:17 PM
  • No, nether will work.

I wonder - why won't you sync the passwords?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:49 PM
  •  Michael Elizarov - MSFT wrote:

No, nether will work.

I wonder - why won't you sync the passwords?

1. Because I don't want the same password for the 'Michael' account on all my computers.

2. Because I should be able to choose whether or not to do this. I chose not to and the baloon is bothering me.

If I want to access the shared folders, I can map a network drive with a username and password so I don't need it to automatically log on to the shares.

Michael, how do I turn this baloon alert off? Any registry tweaks? Any settings files to modify?

Thursday, June 14, 2007 1:55 PM
  • For now there is no way - sorry. We will look at this for next version or an update.

Related question - since you do not want to have same passwords on different boxes - what would you say about roaming profiles? I.e. functionality when you come to different boxes but see all the same setings?

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:49 PM
  • I agree.  For a home server and home network, I don't want any passwords.  Since Windows Update does its thing randomly, I wake up to see one or more computers (All Vista Ultimate OSs) have rebooted and now the logon with WHS passwords has been lost. So, I have to go around and reset them.  I think an Admin Password is fine for the server but not for the clients if we don't want them.  In my office we have to have passwords but not at home...please!!
    TMG
    Friday, June 15, 2007 9:10 PM
  • I think roaming profiles would be a fantastic idea - I was running server 03 before, and roaming profiles along with domains are the 2 things I miss between the 2 products.  Roaming profiles would make this a solid product as far as functionality goes in my opinion.  I also have 4 pcs that have the same user name on them, and I went through and changed them to "Cody 1, Cody 2" etc for the time being as a work-around.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 5, 2007 12:43 AM
  •  Codee wrote:

I think roaming profiles would be a fantastic idea - I was running server 03 before, and roaming profiles along with domains are the 2 things I miss between the 2 products.  Roaming profiles would make this a solid product as far as functionality goes in my opinion.  I also have 4 pcs that have the same user name on them, and I went through and changed them to "Cody 1, Cody 2" etc for the time being as a work-around.

Thanks!

Sorry but I hate roaming profiles with a passion.

Great idea and useful in some spaces but to be honest for WHS it's overkill in my view.

WHS=for home use...Roaming profiles are something useful in a corproate environment. So long as I can log on and do what I need / share my resources and have iot do what it needs to then that's fine.

Have roaming profiles available by all means ..just make sure they are off by default and do not consume resources

Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:14 PM
  • Just today, one of my boxes seems to have "lost" its password sync (for lack of better terms).  I keep getting popups saying the passwords aren't in sync and asks me to enter the password for the client, and the server and wants me to pick which one to keep.  Both passwords are still the same, but when I try to enter them it always says the password I entered on the server doesn't match.  I tried creating a new user on the pc (running vista ultimate 32) and added that user to the server but the message still pops up for this one pc.  After trying some more troubleshooting, my only option may be to try to delete that pc from the server and re-install the connector software and re-authorize it on the server.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 12:32 AM