I must be stupid RRS feed

• Question

• I know this should not be this hard.

I got the invite.
    I installed the sotware.
    I set up the synch. (Mesh was point to local folders that did not exist so I fixed the path to c:\users\Matthew\Documents\Mesh) and started synch.

an hour later I have 4 files of 0K that say the right filename with a WLX file extension and type of "Live Mesh Placeholder".

Can anyone tell me where my 2 GB of files are?

Matt the Nube
    Win7 RTM

Matthew McDermott, MVP MOSS
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:06 PM

Answers

• Stephen,

It appears that "Other Peoples Folders" cannot be synch'd to the Mesh Desktop.

The last byte finally arrived. This is cool technology, though the lack of feedback on what is actually happening is frustrating. It would be nice if it indicated an ETA for sync completion. Particularly when nothing is happening and the sync is not complete.

BTW, the MOE reference appears to be a coincidence. While in my world of Calvin and Hobbes computer names, MOE is an old machine, in Mesh it stands for Mesh Operating Environment (MOE.EXE).

Matthew

Monday, October 5, 2009 12:02 PM

All replies

• Hi, Matthew. I don't know that I'd jump to conclusions about stupidity. :-) Live Mesh is a beta, after all.
    Tell me more about "set up the sync" for what you are trying to sync. The default location for the sync on the second device when a folder has been shared from a PC to the Mesh, and optionally the Live Desktop, is a new folder on the desktop of the second device. You can customize this setting to point to an existing folder and merge the contents, even if that folder on the destination PC is empty and newly created. How did you "fix the path" and where did you fix it?
    Tell me more about the setup, too. How many computers, are you also synchronizing with the Live Desktop, and what type of files are you trying to sync? How many files make up that 2GB of data?
    If it is 4 files, then the files are perhaps trickling over and are building in size in the holding area. The wlx files signifiy that Mesh sees the files for sync. They do not come streaming over as fast as if you did a direct copy - they trickle and 2 gigs of data can take a fairly long time - even on broadband. Perhaps many hours.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I noticed the links on the desktop. WHen I right clicked it offered me the chance to change the location. Maybe that was my mistake. As I  said, I set the folder to c:\users\Matthew\Documents\Mesh.

I did not set up the folders, they were sent to me in an invite.
    The files are self extracting RAR files, one exe and 3 RARs.

The synch has been in place for nearly 12 hours now. I usually get about 2 GB per hour.

Should I just reinstall and leave it alone?

M
    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:54 PM
  • OK,

I just removed everything including the device and set it all up again. Chose Sync to this computer and it's working.

Now, how do I get these folders off of my desktop? My clients see my desktop and the contents is "not for public consumption".

Cheers,

Matt
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:19 PM
  • The process is kind of stupid, not you. :-)
    Unfortunately, you are going to have to repeat the process a bit now.

Create the folders you wish to sync to (on the destination PC).
    Go to the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com and change the sync settings for all of your Mesh folders to *not* sync with that PC.
    Move the files from the Meshed folders on your desktop to the new folders you created elsewhere on the PC.
    Delete the old Mesh folders (they should have turned into "normal" yellow explorer icons after your changed the sync settings.
    Now, back to the Live Desktop and change the sync settings for each folder to sync with the PC again.
    Click once on the light blue folders when they are offered on the desktop.
    Change the location of the destination by clicking browse to navigate to the folder you created and moved the files into.
        Accept the dialog that you want to merge the folder with the existing location. The light blue folder will disappear from the desktop.
    Since the moved files are the same as the ones previously synchronized, the sync should go quickly without conflicts.

Good luck.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Okay, I mised your earlier reply because I clicked on the last post link....

No, you did right the first time, though I don't know why the sync was stalled, if it was.
    Now that you have accepted the default desktop location, it cannot be changed except through the steps I outlined in my last reply. That's the stupid part - Live Mesh should, in my opinion, allow you to change the end point for the sync *after* you have set up the sync. It doesn't.
    -steve
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:49 PM
  • OK, I spoke too soon. After about 30 minutes of spinning, with regular updates reporting about 100MB downloaded. It all stopped and the files are still at 0KB.

I also noticed that this one folder is not "sync'd" on my Live Mesh Desktop. Is that because it belongs to someone else?

I am at a loss for why this is so hard.

Anyway, Steve, if you have some insight I'd appreciate your assistance.

Matthew
    Friday, October 2, 2009 11:14 PM
  • OH, and why do I still see references to MOE, my ages old computer that I donated months ago. Does Mesh know about that computer? All this is wierd!
    Friday, October 2, 2009 11:15 PM
  • I believe that a folder offered to you by someone else doesn't Sync automatically to the Live Desktop. You should be able to configure it to do so, though. I don't currently have any folders belonging to anyone else in my Mesh, so I can't be positive about that one.

How are the downloads going at this point? Remember, the sync is a trickle/burst process.
    -steve
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:25 AM
  • When you donated that PC did you format and reinstall Windows? If not, and you did not remove Live Mesh from that PC, it is still in your Mesh. If Live Mesh is not running on the old PC, go ahead and remove it. Click on manage devices in the notifier or just go to the Live desktop. Select Options for the old PC and click the link to remove the device from your Mesh.
    -steve
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Stephen,

It appears that "Other Peoples Folders" cannot be synch'd to the Mesh Desktop.

The last byte finally arrived. This is cool technology, though the lack of feedback on what is actually happening is frustrating. It would be nice if it indicated an ETA for sync completion. Particularly when nothing is happening and the sync is not complete.

BTW, the MOE reference appears to be a coincidence. While in my world of Calvin and Hobbes computer names, MOE is an old machine, in Mesh it stands for Mesh Operating Environment (MOE.EXE).

Matthew

Monday, October 5, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Glad to read that all is finally well. :-)
    Yes, it is cool and yes, others have complained about the minimal feedback about what's happening when it synchronizes.
    Calvin and Hobbes? Nice choice for names, but I imagine you ran out too quickly. <g> My current naming convention is based on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm up to the obscure characters now.
    -steve

Monday, October 5, 2009 3:19 PM