WHS2011RC fails to install RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install RC on a box that previously ran the beta and it fails due to 'lack of RAM'. The release document say minimum requirement of 1gig and my system has 2 gig fitted. the correct value is displayed in the BIOS.

It looks like this RC is still not right.

Friday, February 4, 2011 11:01 PM

Answers

• Yes, increasing shared memory to 128 Mb solved my issue. Installation finished and server is now up. sort of (got an issue with my dsl router)
    • Marked as answer by Dancing Bear Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:01 AM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Dancing Bear,

Would you be able to file a connect bug on this issue and include any logs that were generated?

The link to the feedback form is below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=4229&FeedbackType=1

Logs can be found in the following locations:

During the running of WinPE
     X:\Windows\System32\Setup.log (X is a memory drive created to retrieve logs. Press Shift-F10, and then browse to the folder and copy the logs)

During the installation of the operating system
     C:\Windows\Panther\Setup*.log

After operating system is installed and before any user interface is displayed
     C:\Windows\Panther\Setup*.log

Thanks!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:11 PM
  • This has already been logged as an issue by someone else. I have identical results as the logged issue.

Simon

dancingbear

Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:10 AM
  • Have the same issue. Displays that it does not have the minimum of 2048 MB. I think it is due to that it shares 256 MB for the video.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Hello there!

Although my issue is different, the end result is the same, I cannot install RC1.

I have 2 gigs installed too, but only 8 Mb are dedicated to my video card. Install works for a while, I get to insert my product keys; then after a while my machine reboots and installation continues. Then the progress bar "halts" at 44%. I can launch task manager, but everything seems ok.... execpt the installation won't go on.

I tried re-installing and letting the procedure go on unattended (after I entered my product key, that is). After a while I found that RC1 is apparently installed, but I always get a boot menu where I can choose between repairing my windows install (which won't work) and starting windows normally, which will stay on the boot screen forever (the one with the green animated bar).

I tried to connect the hard drive to another machine: I can see the 3 partitions (boot, main and another empty one), scandisk says the disk is fine. What could be my problem? Not enough video memory??? (that came to my mind while typing this... I'll try that immediately).

Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Yes, increasing shared memory to 128 Mb solved my issue. Installation finished and server is now up. sort of (got an issue with my dsl router)
    • Marked as answer by Dancing Bear Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:01 AM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:04 AM
  • hanged by video memory from Auto to fixed 128Mb and installer ran.C
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:02 AM