Whenever I do anything with WHS backup functions, my HP MediaSmart Server freezes up -- PLEASE HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I do anything with WHS backup functions, my HP MediaSmart Server freezes up -- PLEASE HELP!

So, currently; I can't backup, I can't do a backup cleanup.

I think the server is freezing at other times also, but rarely.

I have done a CHKDSK of the WMS C: and D: drives and these came back fine.

Any ideas as to what I should do next? PLEASE HELP as this problem is debilitating to our home network.

Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:39 AM

All replies

• Please read, and follow the instructions in, this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 9, 2012 11:48 AM
  • The HP mediasmart server is unable to complete the CHKDSK operations you suggested above as it freezes / becomes unresponsive after an hour or so. I have to physically turn it off and then on again to get it to reboot. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:19 AM
  • If chkdsk causes the server to lock up (and probably bluescreen, though as a headless device you wouldn't actually see that happen) then most likely one of the disks in server storage (one other than the system disk) has failed. Your only real option with a failed disk is to remove/replace it. The console should show you which disk is having issues; it may show as missing or as failing. If the console won't run, you'll probably have to resort to trial and error: shut down, remove a disk physically, start up, see if the console will start. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:44 AM