Extra Computer Icon In Network Sharing Centre RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed One care beta 2 i have noticed now i have two computer icons in my network sharing centre one with PC on the end and the other with OC on the end, does anybody know how to stop this or get rid of it as its stupid having two icons the same in the sharing centre when other people can see them to any help be great thanks.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:16 AM

Answers

•  Unfortunately, you can't get rid of the extra items in the Vista Network and Sharing center as these are created for Printer Sharing by OneCare 2.0 - even if you are not using Printer Sharing.

-steve

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:01 AM

All replies

•  Unfortunately, you can't get rid of the extra items in the Vista Network and Sharing center as these are created for Printer Sharing by OneCare 2.0 - even if you are not using Printer Sharing.

-steve

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:01 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply, so the extra icon will only show up for the ones that have got a usb or parelle printer conected to there pc is that correct, for example if you have two computers with printers conected to them in your network it will only double up on those two and thats it.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:13 AM
  • I'll try to verify this at home this evening if I have a chance unless someone else can step in before that. I don't have 2.0 on this Vista laptop.

-steve

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:45 PM
  • Thanks for that much appreciated also hope you can she some light on this , during my surfing on the net have come accross alot of people saying that onecare has failed alot of the tests they give the antivirus programs is this true or not and if not can you give me a link to the latest test results on it thanks .

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 12:54 AM
  • I hold minimal faith in the various tests that are published. No antivirus product is perfect and I do agree that OneCare needed to improve in many areas of detection and ability to remove some malware. It has improved and Microsoft is committed to continue doing so. It's protected my PCs quite well. :-)

-steve

Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:58 AM
  • Thanks for that and have you had a chance to look at the extra icon i asked on other post reply or havent had a chance hey . 

Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:21 AM
  •  tiger29 wrote:

Thanks for that and have you had a chance to look at the extra icon i asked on other post reply or havent had a chance hey . 

Sorry for not following up. I checked the PCs that have 2.0 on it and, by luck, none are Vista and none are sharing a printer, so I can't verify it. I only have a network printer set up for all my PCs and my wife's PC with a local printer is running XP and 1.6.

-steve

Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:40 AM
  • thanks for the reply mate

Saturday, October 20, 2007 6:27 AM
  •  

Hi

The extra icon will show up only if

a) Computer is using Vista

b) AND OneCare has shared a printer attached to that PC.

This is needed for printer sharing functionality. If you do not want printer sharing functionality, you can go to settings>Printer sharing and uncheck the sole check box there. That should remove any printers shared by OneCare and once you reboot, you should NOT have the secondary icon anymore.

Thanks

Neeraj

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Thanks, Neeraj.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:54 PM