One Care multi user RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anybody reading this that can answer q's about Live One Care security softwa

re?

It says you can use one license on 3 computers, and one acts as a "master" in a system.  Does that mean if you use you home PC as a master and your laptop on wireless then take your wireless to the coffee shop and use it out of the system you are not protected on that laptop?  (run sentences my specialty).

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:53 PM

Answers

• What it means is that your Hub PC will "see" the status of OneCare on all PCs in your Circle (same LiveID for the subscription) no matter where they are. When the other PC is not on the same local LAN, the status will be delayed in getting back to the Hub. When your PCs are all local to each other, the Hub/Circle concept allows some extra features to come into play - Centralized backup, Printer Sharing and some of the actions you can take from the Hub to correct an issue on the remote PC. When the laptop is out on the Internet, such as a wireless coffee shop's connection, OneCare is still protecting the PC *and* the network connection is even more secure since it will put the firewall into Public mode, locking down things like File and Printer sharing for you, unless you explicitly configure the firewall to not do this.

-steve

Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:40 PM

All replies

• What it means is that your Hub PC will "see" the status of OneCare on all PCs in your Circle (same LiveID for the subscription) no matter where they are. When the other PC is not on the same local LAN, the status will be delayed in getting back to the Hub. When your PCs are all local to each other, the Hub/Circle concept allows some extra features to come into play - Centralized backup, Printer Sharing and some of the actions you can take from the Hub to correct an issue on the remote PC. When the laptop is out on the Internet, such as a wireless coffee shop's connection, OneCare is still protecting the PC *and* the network connection is even more secure since it will put the firewall into Public mode, locking down things like File and Printer sharing for you, unless you explicitly configure the firewall to not do this.

-steve

Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:40 PM
  • My trail copy that came on laptop said yesterday that I had 2 days left, but this morning it said it was done.  I I found a store copy cheaper than the online cost as suggested in another thread.  Since I never registered for a license, do I need to delete the trail and load the disk or not.  I want to make my PC the hub, if that makes more sense, which has a free Comcast version of McAfee.  What do I do to install One.  I also want to change my LiveID.  How do I do that? 

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Don't delete the trial.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

Once you have cleared the LiveID, simply click Subscribe in OneCare and then sign in and choose the option to subscribe using a retail key or PIN.

On the desktop PC, uninstall McAfee, use their cleanup tool - 

McAfee Removal Tool - http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Then install OneCare by going to http://onecare.live.com and downloading/installing the trial. Once it is installed, click subscribe and sign in with the *same* LiveID you used on the laptop to create the subscription.

To make the desktop a hub, click on Your OneCare Circle in OneCare on the desktop and then click the link to make that PC a hub.

-steve

Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:25 PM