Network security while on the road? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for information on best practices wrt security when using an unsecured WiFi network (say at a hotel or airport).

If I connect to my WHS (which uses https), then connect to one of my WHS client PCs at home, and use the browser on that WHS client PC, is that reasonably secure?

Is it as secure as, say, connecting to a work VPN (which I no longer have access to) and using a local browser?

Is it more secure than just using the local browser on the unsecured network? (pretty sure I know the answer to this one).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks ... Mike

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:46 PM

Answers

•  wenglish wrote:

I'm looking for information on best practices wrt security when using an unsecured WiFi network (say at a hotel or airport).

If I connect to my WHS (which uses https), then connect to one of my WHS client PCs at home, and use the browser on that WHS client PC, is that reasonably secure?

Is it as secure as, say, connecting to a work VPN (which I no longer have access to) and using a local browser?

Is it more secure than just using the local browser on the unsecured network? (pretty sure I know the answer to this one).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks ... Mike

All traffic between you and your WHS is done in SSL. If you connect to your Home PC and then use IE on the Home PC, yes that will be more secure since technically your traffic will be going out over your home network and not the hotel / airport network.

Make sure on your laptop your anti-virus and your firewall are secure and up-to-date, and you should be fine.

Friday, July 27, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Using WHS as an intermediary to a home PC is better than using the local browser on an unsecured network. It's also more secure than Remote Desktop directly over an unsecured connection to another computer. It's probably less secure than a dedicated VPN solution, though.

Your biggest risk, security-wise, is still going to be that guy sitting at the table behind you peeking over your shoulder when you type your password.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

•  wenglish wrote:

I'm looking for information on best practices wrt security when using an unsecured WiFi network (say at a hotel or airport).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks ... Mike

All traffic between you and your WHS is done in SSL. If you connect to your Home PC and then use IE on the Home PC, yes that will be more secure since technically your traffic will be going out over your home network and not the hotel / airport network.

Make sure on your laptop your anti-virus and your firewall are secure and up-to-date, and you should be fine.

Friday, July 27, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Using WHS as an intermediary to a home PC is better than using the local browser on an unsecured network. It's also more secure than Remote Desktop directly over an unsecured connection to another computer. It's probably less secure than a dedicated VPN solution, though.

Your biggest risk, security-wise, is still going to be that guy sitting at the table behind you peeking over your shoulder when you type your password.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 10:05 PM
  • Thanks Ken & Tom.

Mike

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:06 PM