Windows Home Server Suddenly Not Working with Motorola Modem RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my current setup for several years:

WRT 400N Linksys router

Motorola modem connected to router

Windows Home Server connected to router

HP Touchsmart connected to router

The other night my wife was working on some photos and she suddenly couldn't access one of the folders on the server. Windows explorer said it was corrupted. I was able to restore the files from iDrive online backup. But I still couldn't access the folder. I could access other folders on the server though. While I was trying to figure out what was wrong, I suddenly couldn't access any of the files on the server. I tried every combination of restarting all four components with no success.

After looking for answers online, I tried unplugging my modem from the network. That didn't seem to do anything until I restarted the server. Now, every time I unplug the modem and then restart the server, I can access all the folders and files on the server through windows explorer. But when I try to connect to the server through the Windows Home Server Console, I get this error message: "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes." As soon as I plug the modem back in, I can't access the files anymore.

The only advice I could find that seemed to apply to my setup was to try having the router DHCP settings assign an ip address to the server, which I did and then restarted everything. But I still got the same results.

I can't figure out anything that we changed right before we couldn't access the server.

I'm glad that all my stuff is still on the server, but not being able to access the server and the internet at the same time is not working for me!

Any ideas?

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:32 AM

All replies

• Finally figured it out. It had nothing to do with the modem. Turns out the server was messed up. I tried a system recovery on my own, which didn't work. Finally called HP tech support. The server needed to do a system recovery with some special files he had to email to me. It was very complicated, but worked! And now I'm not banging my head against the wall wondering what's wrong with my modem! 
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:44 AM