locked
How does the Translate Widget SiteData value relate to the URL subdomain in Step 1 and the "code" that helps me access the script HTML? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I created a translator widget using the tool here:

    https://www.bing.com/widget/translator

    I created it using the value https://test.example.com in Step 1 (note TEST subdomain).

    I connected the widget to my outlook.com account and the free 2,000,000 word Translate subscription in the Azure marketplace. I can access the widget on the portal directly by going here:

    https://www.bing.com/widget/translator?code=[mycode]

    which I discovered by following the instructions in this blog post:

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e2e9ba65-ffb1-4e73-9300-fd54927f4f6d/widget-translate-associate-the-site-with-a-translator-not-working?forum=microsofttranslator

    Note the post says the bug has been fixed, but I had to use it to create my first widget, and it only ever worked one time, I have not been able to create a custom widget using this method on any other subdomain of my original URL.

    Now, while I am on https://test.example.com, I get the full functionality while logged in to the appropriate outlook account (including anonymous suggestions, Sign In, Dashboard, and Manage Suggestions).

    BUT when I put the widget code on a different subdomain, https://dev.example.com, the following happens:

    - translations that I have approved on test.example.com APPEAR CORRECTLY on dev.example.com

    - NEITHER the widget Sign In feature, NOR the anonymous suggestions appear on dev.example.com

    - when I try to create a new widget for https://www.example.com, it does not work (specifically, after I associate the widget to the Azure subscription, it throws me back to the widget page without a proper SiteData, and no way to obtain the code since it does not ever appear as described in the aforementioned blog post.)

    Obviously my goal is to get a correctly working widget on www.example.com (anon suggestions and managed approval).

    Since I can't create a widget for www.example.com now, I must assume that the test.example.com widget is somehow interfering. I tried multiple outlook.com accounts, multiple browsers, compatability mode, etc, but nothing I do can get the widget to work for https://www.example.com.

    Can anyone tell me how the URL is associated with the SiteData, and how I can disassociate test.example.com if indeed this is part of the problem?

    Thanks!

    Friday, May 1, 2015 3:08 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    To be sure we understand correctly your question: you have now generated multiple widgets with CTF enabled. All the widgets are on the same Azure account but on different sub-domain of the same master one and you are losing the approved translation?

    Or is the issue about the Widget generation only. The tip here https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9ba23364-116a-41da-9dfb-833bbc3b9645/how-does-the-translate-widget-sitedata-value-relate-to-the-url-subdomain-in-step-1-and-the-code?forum=translator was given as a stop-gap while we where fixing the issue. This should not be needed since we fixed it last year and I am not even sure it still works.

    If you have more details/specifics and don't want to share them on the forum, please send them through this: www.microsofttranslator.com/contact

    Olivier


    Microsoft Translator team - www.microsoft.com/Translator

    Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:42 AM
  • Hi Olivier

    Thank you for your reply. We are switching from Google because they no longer support moderated suggestions.

    I actually have both problems:

    1. Widget generation. I have only ever successfully generated one custom widget, for https://test.example.com and I definitely had to use the stop-gap trick to do it. All my other attempts have failed (results of the widget configuration and azure subscription access were either HTML that was clearly the default, not the extra-long siteData parameter, or just a blank HTML box.) I tried multiple browsers, compatability mode, and even signed up for a whole new outlook.com account to try it there.

    2. I have attempted to generate the widget multiple times with different subdomains, but the only one that succeeded (with Sign In and Dashboard access) is the one I got for test.example.com.

    So I do not know the state of my widget and how it is associated with the different subdomains. Right now, nothing I do results in a successful widget for https://www.example.com or any other subdomain.

    I will send my real domain and widget code from the contact page and reference this thread.

    Thanks!

    Monday, May 4, 2015 2:32 AM