sharing directories over the internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have been searching for a way to map a directory on my server to a network-share on my PC at work, so i can browse throught the files in the directory with the windows explorer in stead of using the external web-access. I have done some searching on the forum, and the web, but i could not find a solution to do this, you have any help?

Friday, October 14, 2011 4:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• No, that functionality is not built into WHS 2011 and there are no (as far as I am aware) add-ins to do that. You could perhaps set up a VPN but that once again would be an unsupported configuration.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:17 PM
  • You could set it up an ftp server and try something like

http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/

I have not tried it but it does have a 20 day trial.

• Marked as answer by Dontcare1979 Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:55 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Yes you can do this with WHS 2011.  You might refer to some other posts mentioned in this forum.  Many people have commented that you shouldn't install WebDav as it isn't as secure as people think it should be.

First you have to install WebDav. The link for the download and instructions are here: http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/350/installing-and-configuring-webdav-on-iis-7/

Next, you have to create a "Virtual Directory".  Right click on "Default Web Site" in the IIs Manager and select "Add Virtual Directory".  What this does is make each individual share directory available.  Create an "alias" or name for the directory (this is just how you want to see it in the IIs manager) and link the physical path to the share directory you want to use.  Make sure you use the (whatever the drive letter is where the directory is stored) D:\ServerFolder path.  This will allow all folders under that "ServerFolder" directory available.  If you want to only allow certain folders available, then use D:\ServerFolder\<share> for each folder.

Access to the folders is manage under the "Users" tab on the WHS 2011 Dashboard.  DO NOT use the "Edit Permissions" in the IIs Manager.  This could break the WHS 2011 Users "Account Properties" function.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, this is working great now, much better then just running a FTP server; no need to download files to the host.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:00 AM