help, server hangs on "windows is starting up" screen. RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i've tried rebooting a number of times using the power button but still the same.

it takes approx 45-60 mins to even get to the "windows is starting up" screen, then just hangs.

i cannot remote in or use the console either.

any ideas guys??
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:48 PM

All replies

• My guess is a failing hard drive, probably the system drive. If you have a Vista installation disk, you can run chkdsk using the recovery console, or you can use a disk analysis tool such as Spinrite or the disk manufacturer's tools (if any) to test and attempt to recover the disk. If the disk is having issues, you will probably want to replace it, rather than trusting to any tool to restore it to full functionality more than briefly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:58 PM
  • hi Ken,

thanks for the reply.

the server has now booted up, i've opened the console up on the desktop and its telling me one of my 1 tb hd's is missing, not the system one though.

when i look in disk management its showing that theres one missing, but also showing the same hd at the bottom as ready to be added??

not that clued up with running any diagnostics but i'll take a read of the stuff youve suggested.

many thanks for your time
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:13 PM
  • What you describe is also indicative of a failing hard drive. I would really recommend investigating the manufacturer's tools or Spinrite to try to figure out what's up with your drives.

As for being "not that clued up with running any diagnostics..." have you considered purchasing an OEM server made by a major computer manufacturer? There are servers available from several manufacturers at this point, and they include some level of technical support (which a "home built" server doesn't have). Someone without a high degree of technical (and in particular problem-solving) knowledge regarding computers is likely to find tracing down server issues pretty heavy going on their own. The answer to the question "How hard could it be?" is "Pretty darn hard if things go wrong." unfortunately.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Ken if i had that kind of money i would of purchased one of the retail servers in the first place, alas the last thing the wife will approve is hundreds of pounds on another gadget for me:)

ive built this one up from bits and changed most of the hardware at least once, and bought storage along the way as needed. i'm just going to have to learn along the way as i normally do.

i do remember running speedfan to diagnose one of my hd's when i was getting eractic read rates, it was when burning an iso in imgburn on a client.

it wasn't as heavy duty as spinrite by the looks of things.

thanks for the help, much appreciated.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:15 PM