Need to replace Hard Drives and reconfigure RRS feed

• Question

• After running the past year or so on WHS I would like to install 4 new Hard Drives. I have 3 basic questions before I begin.

I think I will be doing a complete reinstall. I will be getting 4 new Seagate 500 or 750 gig hard drives to replace my present 80 to 120 gig drives. I know WHS does not like raid and would prefer not to use it but will if it is justifiable.

Present equipment using WHS:
    Intel D975XBX2 Mother Board (has up to 8 Sata connections and is RAID capable)
    Intel Q6700 Quad core 2.66 GHz
    4 Gig Ram

Question 1) What is the preferred way to get my present files backed up in case something goes awry? I do have a Buffalo ext hard drive to backup or copy to.

Question 2) Should I use one of the 80 gig hard drives as a system drive only?

Question 3) Can 2 of the new hard drives be setup to back up the other 2 hard drives so that I have a complete backup of the 2 main drives for my music, photos, and office documents?

Thanks
    Emmett

Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:31 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the answers. I will run a extra backup of my shared folders and get the new hard drives. I will mark this as answered

Emmett
    • Marked as answer by Emmett Chapman Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:26 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:25 PM

All replies

• After running the past year or so on WHS I would like to install 4 new Hard Drives. I have 3 basic questions before I begin.

I think I will be doing a complete reinstall. I will be getting 4 new Seagate 500 or 750 gig hard drives to replace my present 80 to 120 gig drives. I know WHS does not like raid and would prefer not to use it but will if it is justifiable.

Present equipment using WHS:
    Intel D975XBX2 Mother Board (has up to 8 Sata connections and is RAID capable)
    Intel Q6700 Quad core 2.66 GHz
    4 Gig Ram

Question 1) What is the preferred way to get my present files backed up in case something goes awry? I do have a Buffalo ext hard drive to backup or copy to.

You can use either the backup method included with WHS, or just copy and paste yourself.

Question 2) Should I use one of the 80 gig hard drives as a system drive only?

There is no benefit to doing that.  Swapping out the system drive later on is more laborious than other drives (requires a Server Reinstallation), not to mention who knows how old that 80 GB drive is.  (IMO, an 80 GB drive is nothing more than a paper-weight these days. ;)  )

Question 3) Can 2 of the new hard drives be setup to back up the other 2 hard drives so that I have a complete backup of the 2 main drives for my music, photos, and office documents?

Thanks
    Emmett

That depends on what you mean by "back up".  If you want 2 copies of each file in those shares, add those drives to the storage pool and enable Folder Duplication on those shares.  If, however, you are referring to off-site backup, then you would want to use the ability to backup your network shares to a drive that is part of Power Pack 1.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Hello kariya21

By backup I would like to have a complete independent set of files to be able to recall if my main drives were to crash. I have had this server running about 1 year now and while not worried about the 80's I would like to have more storage room left than the 35-40 percent I now have with a reliable backup copy of all files (hard drives are cheap now). I believe I did turn off Folder Duplication on some of the folders I now have and use which is one reason why I think a complete reinstall would be best for me.

Also what is Power Pack 1. Did it install as part of the normal updates my server has had or is it something I need to add? Sorry for the ignorance but the server has just taken care of itself for about the last year.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Hello kariya21

By backup I would like to have a complete independent set of files to be able to recall if my main drives were to crash.

In that case, you should use the backup capabilities of Power Pack 1.  NOTE:  It will only backup files/folders in your shares.  It does not backup the backup database, nor does it backup the OS.

I have had this server running about 1 year now and while not worried about the 80's I would like to have more storage room left than the 35-40 percent I now have with a reliable backup copy of all files (hard drives are cheap now). I believe I did turn off Folder Duplication on some of the folders I now have and use which is one reason why I think a complete reinstall would be best for me.

If that is the only reason, you could just add a new drive to the storage pool, then remove a small one from the pool (much easier path).  As for upgrading the primary drive, that would require a Server Reinstallation (if you wanted to replace it).

Also what is Power Pack 1. Did it install as part of the normal updates my server has had or is it something I need to add?

It's an automatic update from MS.  As long as your server is set to update automatically, you already have it.

Sorry for the ignorance but the server has just taken care of itself for about the last year.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Thank you for the answers. I will run a extra backup of my shared folders and get the new hard drives. I will mark this as answered

Emmett
    • Marked as answer by Emmett Chapman Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:26 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:25 PM