Reactivating OEM Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP laptop where the operating system doesn't boot at all. I have full access to all the files if I plug it into my working desktop computer (I don't boot from the laptops drive). This led me to believe that the HDD is not broken and that it is the OS that must be corrupt.

I plan to reformat the HDD and do a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) install using a Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) disc I have. The OEM product key for the laptop is on the bottom, can I use this key after freshly installing windows onto the blank HDD? (the motherboard and CPU and all hardware will not change) Will I have to call Microsoft before I reformat the drive to deactivate the key somehow? Or is there a way I don't know about for deactivating/reactivating my Windows 7?

Friday, December 9, 2011 4:29 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can install Windows 7 as you outlined.  However, you'll likely be required to "activate by phone" which takes about five minutes.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:35 AM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 7:47 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can install Windows 7 as you outlined.  However, you'll likely be required to "activate by phone" which takes about five minutes.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:35 AM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 7:47 AM
  • There is no "deactivation" procedure.  Only reactivation.  You may be required to call Microsoft, but only if instructed to do so when you reactivate.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 3:51 PM
    Answerer
  • i have same problem but no option to activate windows 7 by phone.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:56 AM