Windows XP Genuine Validation Tool Issues RRS feed

• Question

• My Dell laptop automatically downloaded Windows XP Genuine Validation Tool, and each time I would turn it on it would warn me with the logo by say: You may be a victime of sofware counterfeiting.  
                                This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows
                                 validation. 
    And then it would have a count down followed by asking me to select from 2 choices.  To fix the problem now or later and I always chose later and couldn't find a way to uninstall the Windows XP Genuine Validation Tool.  And today it just kept stopping at the welcome Owner
                    Loading your personal settings screen, Frozen.  with that same message and no options to click any buttons. 

This so called Windows XP Genuine Validation Tool software ruined my laptop.  How can I fix it? 
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 1:22 AM

Answers

• Purchritude,

Nah, it wasn't the WGA program that cooked your laptop, it was probably all the extra rootkits and malware that were on the pirated installation of XP you had.

Start into Safe Mode, offload your data, and then use the Dell-supplied Recovery Solution (the Dell OS reinstallation CD and/or Dell PC Restore by Symantec) to reimage your hard disk back to the way it was when you took your Dell out of it's factory shipping box.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, August 4, 2008 4:42 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2008 3:27 PM