File Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• I used the File Sharing feature of the Microsoft Network (Windows XP) among my networked computers. It worked just fine.

I then installed the Microsoft Live Mesh in October 2009. It certainly gobbled up too much of CPU and I/O resources in my network. I then decided to uninstall it using the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel in November 2009.

Now I’m having problems accessing files located on the other computers in my network when I fired up Microsoft Word. It read “Access denied. Contact your administrator.” I’m sure this problem is related to the Live Mesh.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:08 AM

Answers

• Hmmm.....
    Live Mesh would have no impact on your ability to access shared resources on your LAN *except* if you added a document to a Mesh folder that was not a shared resource. What I mean by that odd statement is that any file saved into a Live Mesh folder does not inherit the permissions of the folder that it is saved to. For example:
    You have a folder called "Documents" and you've made that a shared folder on the LAN with permissions set for everyone to have full read/write access. Any user on any PC on the LAN can browse to that folder and read/write. Now, you make this folder a Live Mesh folder and share it with a few devices via Live Mesh, perhaps other invited Live Mesh users. When you save a new file into this folder and it replicates to the other devices, it does not bring the permissions for everyone/full access with it and may cause issues for someone accessing this file from a PC not part of the Mesh on the LAN. Does that make sense?
    In any event, since you have now removed Live Mesh, the solution is the re-share the folder(s) and set the approriate permissions for the folders and apply these permissions to all files/folders within your Shares.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hmmm.....
    Live Mesh would have no impact on your ability to access shared resources on your LAN *except* if you added a document to a Mesh folder that was not a shared resource. What I mean by that odd statement is that any file saved into a Live Mesh folder does not inherit the permissions of the folder that it is saved to. For example:
    You have a folder called "Documents" and you've made that a shared folder on the LAN with permissions set for everyone to have full read/write access. Any user on any PC on the LAN can browse to that folder and read/write. Now, you make this folder a Live Mesh folder and share it with a few devices via Live Mesh, perhaps other invited Live Mesh users. When you save a new file into this folder and it replicates to the other devices, it does not bring the permissions for everyone/full access with it and may cause issues for someone accessing this file from a PC not part of the Mesh on the LAN. Does that make sense?
    In any event, since you have now removed Live Mesh, the solution is the re-share the folder(s) and set the approriate permissions for the folders and apply these permissions to all files/folders within your Shares.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Steve:

Thanks for the insights. You are absolutely right. My problem was caused by file sharing. See, I have a computer with a user name John. It automatically created a folder called "John's Documents" when I customized my computer many years ago. In my c: drive, I also created a folder "John's Documents." This folder is shared among all connect computer in my LAN. However, the folder created by the installation process was not shared. I therefore received an "Access Denied" message when I tried to access "John’s Documents" folder from other computer since the computer (owns the folder) knows only the folder name regardless where it is in the computer. It therefore issued an "Access Denied" message. I had marked the installation created folder as "shared". The problem has gone away.

Again, I thank you very much for your insights and assistance.

Best Regards,

John

Monday, March 8, 2010 12:32 AM