Backup stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS on a home network with 3 other PCs (all running Vista). Two days ago one of the three failed to get backed up. When I tried to do a manual backup I got an error saying C: idle. It told me I should run CHKDSK /f /r. I tried to to and got an error telling me that "the type of file system is NTFS.
    Cannot unlock current drive." and "chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" I said yes, and it ran but the problem is still there and the same error. I have tried doing research on google and have found a lot of postings with people having the same error both running chkdsk, defrag and format. It seems to maybe be centered around something being scheduled to run and hanging up leaving the system thinking something it is scheduled and thus the system is locked. But I can find nothing to provide further info and have not been able to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Friday, March 13, 2009 8:12 PM

Answers

• Olaf,

Good news - it was definitely related to the dirty bit. Here was how I fixed it. I checked and the dirty bit was not set. So I issued a command to set it. I then rebooted and the computer then went through a complete chkdsk. I had in fact run chkdsk manually and it had not fixed the problem. But when it ran this time with the dirty bit set it ran again (I noticed this time it did a 3 pass check where it had not done so previously). Bottom line it fixed the problem and my  ability to run backups on this computer is now restored. I hope anyone else who reads this and is having this problem will benefit fromthis message thread.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Monday, March 16, 2009 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,
    please check the event log for related errors and warnings and post them here.
    Did you uninstall a software, which has their own VSS Writers, i.e. Symantec Ghost?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 13, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the quick post. I was trying our some free trials of video converter software at that time (DVD to MPG), that I installed and then uninstalled. But I have never used Ghost, and as far as I know no VSS Writers either. (I say that because I am not sure if I know what a VSS Writer is.) Which event log are you asking to see? The one on the Vista computer at issue or on the WHS server?

BTW, I had continued researching and found somethign relaitve to a "dirty bit". Know anything about that? I have a weekly scheduled defrag to run on Wednesday evening that I believe might have been the first night the backup failed. I wonder if somehow that failed and set this "sirty bit" and now it is stuck.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Friday, March 13, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    its the Vista client, which fails, so we need its event log messages in relation to the failed backup.
    The dirty bit is set to run chkdsk at computer boot - did you reboot already and let the checkdisk run complete?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 13, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Olaf,

Good news - it was definitely related to the dirty bit. Here was how I fixed it. I checked and the dirty bit was not set. So I issued a command to set it. I then rebooted and the computer then went through a complete chkdsk. I had in fact run chkdsk manually and it had not fixed the problem. But when it ran this time with the dirty bit set it ran again (I noticed this time it did a 3 pass check where it had not done so previously). Bottom line it fixed the problem and my  ability to run backups on this computer is now restored. I hope anyone else who reads this and is having this problem will benefit fromthis message thread.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Monday, March 16, 2009 12:33 PM
  • I am having this exact issue as of last night on my laptop. Windows did an update so I assumed it had to do with it, I'm running XP btw. I can't run a chkdsk /f, gives same warning. I was able to run a chkdsk. I'm not clear on the "dirty bit" thing though. Our desktop running XP backed up fine last night as well. I have rebooted my laptop multiple times throughout this as well as the WHS.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:09 PM