Total size of D drive not growing after adding harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem wich i cant work out...

I installed windows home server oem on a 80GB harddisk. After the installation i directly plug in a 250Gb external USB harddrive.

After that i go to the WHS Console and i add the 250Gb external USB harddrive by folloing the wizard.

Everything goes well. The wizard formats the 250Gb external USB harddrive and after the wizard is finished i end up with this: please click to see the printscreen.

As you can see my freespace is now 335,86 GB

But when i go to "My Computer" and check the "total size" of my D: Drive its still only 56,6 GB: please click to see the printscreen

So i taught maby i need to reboot the PC in order to get the "total size" of the D: Drive right.

After the reboot everything is still the same and the "total size" of my D: Drive its still only 56,6 GB.

When i go back to my laptop and i try to copy over 100GB of music to \\WHS-SERVER\Music\ share and i reach the 56 GB the copy stops and the server tells me that there is not enough space left?

How is this possible? Did i forget a setting or something somwhere?

Please help me.

Kind Regards
    Pieter Geelhoed

The Netherlands

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:16 PM

Answers

• What you're seeing is normal. WHS Drive Extender doesn't increase the size of the D: partition when you add disks to the storage pool. It mounts those disks in specific locations in the file system, then (using "tombstones") redirects those files to the mounted space. Your D: drive remains the same size it originally was. The issue you're experiencing is because the D: partiton is used as a sort of "landing zone" for files being copied to WHS; it's easy to fill up a small drive with a large copy operation. A small disk severely limits the maximum size of a copy operation; this is why Microsoft strongly recommends that you make your largest drive your system drive.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 6:23 PM

All replies

• What you're seeing is normal. WHS Drive Extender doesn't increase the size of the D: partition when you add disks to the storage pool. It mounts those disks in specific locations in the file system, then (using "tombstones") redirects those files to the mounted space. Your D: drive remains the same size it originally was. The issue you're experiencing is because the D: partiton is used as a sort of "landing zone" for files being copied to WHS; it's easy to fill up a small drive with a large copy operation. A small disk severely limits the maximum size of a copy operation; this is why Microsoft strongly recommends that you make your largest drive your system drive.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 6:23 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    What you're seeing is normal. WHS Drive Extender doesn't increase the size of the D: partition when you add disks to the storage pool. It mounts those disks in specific locations in the file system, then (using "tombstones") redirects those files to the mounted space. Your D: drive remains the same size it originally was. The issue you're experiencing is because the D: partiton is used as a sort of "landing zone" for files being copied to WHS; it's easy to fill up a small drive with a large copy operation. A small disk severely limits the maximum size of a copy operation; this is why Microsoft strongly recommends that you make your largest drive your system drive.

That makes sence, i also readed this in other posts but that was with other configurations, so basicly what i need to do is copy all my files to the server but make sure that the amount of files i copy are not larger than 50 GB's right?

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Less than ~50 GB at a time, and wait for WHS to finish balancing before copying another chunk of files. If you turn on duplication for your shares, you will be limited to a total of ~50 GB of duplicated files. And if you turn on duplication for some shares but not others, you'll be able to copy files to unduplicated shares until you hit that ~50 GB limit in the duplicated shares.

You should really consider rebuilding your server with your largest drive as your system drive. You can pick up 500 GB drives from NewEgg for just over $100USD right now...
    Monday, October 15, 2007 8:04 PM
  • At this moment i am testing WHS to see if it is good enough to replace my linux fileserver.

If i decide to install WHS on my linux machine it will get an 250GB OS hdd and after the installation i will add 8x 160GB hdd's.

Its just that before i do that i want to know if this is realy what i need and it looks like it does. I realy love the way your storage can grow and its al easy to use.

Thanks for awnsering my questions.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:25 AM