File association for OFX file type (solved) RRS feed

• Question

• On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 21:20:30 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

This is my experience using the PocketSense scripts with Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. I am doing that in parallel with using the regular Money Plus on a different computer. While I have not tested this except using Money Plus Sunset, the PocketSense methods of getting OFX data and quotes should work with Money versions going back to at least Money 2002. Those who want to test using the scripts on the same computer that has Money Plus working with downloads could make a copy of the working Money file with a different name. Open that file in Money, and disable all accounts for online access. Then open that file before running MoneySense scripts.

Cal,

I, too, have been using the PocketSense scripts and they seem to be
    downloading OK using the Getdata.py script. 
    I have eighteen accounts at seven or eight financial institutions.

However, they are not getting imported into Money.

I am working with a copy of my Money file in which I have disabled
    online services for all of the FI's.

I can select the File/Import/Downloaded Statement option in Money and
    import them that way.  But that will be a PITA to have to do this 18
    times every time I download.

If I double-click on the downloaded .ofx file, in the python "xfr"
    folder, nothing happens.

I have W7-x64
    Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Version 17.0.120.1415

The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ofx.Document\Shell\Open\Command value is
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\mnyimprt.exe" %1

and that points to the correct location.

The Default program is also listed as mnyimprt.exe in the "Default
    Programs" program under the Start menu.

I have deleted "temporary internet files"

I have not reinstalled Money.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
      Ron

Friday, October 8, 2010 2:27 AM

Answers

• On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 04:41:21 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

Ron, my use has been with 32-bit Windows 7. I just created a test file called xyzzy.ofx that contained just a couple irrelevant words. With Money closed, I launched that in a command window. A popup offered to open Money. I said yes. Money did not like the file of course, and it offered to send an error report. :-) But it launched.

I looked at the key you cited, and mine was similar... no '(x86)' in the path, because I am running 32-bit. The quotes and %1 were the same as yours. It would be useful if somebody else running 64-bit were to post results.

So I would wonder if you have some kind of virus/malware checker that might be inhibiting your launches. You could try reinstalling.

Finally, success.  And I'll post the details here in case others have
    a similar problem.

I downloaded a program  "An Utility to Unassociate File Types in
    Windows 7 and Vista"  from

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/231/1/An-Utility-to-Unassociate-File-Types-in-Windows-7-and-Vista.html

After selecting to dissociate the .ofx file, it became "ASSOCIATED"
    with mnyimprt as it should;  the proper "Money" icon began showing up
    with these files; and Getdata.py seems to be working as designed.

The "select program as default" box is still grayed out and cannot be
    changed, but it is now checked whereas before it was deselected.

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:44 AM

All replies

• Ron, my use has been with 32-bit Windows 7. I just created a test file called xyzzy.ofx that contained just a couple irrelevant words. With Money closed, I launched that in a command window. A popup offered to open Money. I said yes. Money did not like the file of course, and it offered to send an error report. :-) But it launched.

I looked at the key you cited, and mine was similar... no '(x86)' in the path, because I am running 32-bit. The quotes and %1 were the same as yours. It would be useful if somebody else running 64-bit were to post results.

So I would wonder if you have some kind of virus/malware checker that might be inhibiting your launches. You could try reinstalling.

Friday, October 8, 2010 4:41 AM

Ron, my use has been with 32-bit Windows 7. I just created a test file called xyzzy.ofx that contained just a couple irrelevant words. With Money closed, I launched that in a command window. A popup offered to open Money. I said yes. Money did not like the file of course, and it offered to send an error report. :-) But it launched.

Cal,

Thanks for looking.  Just re-installing did no good; I suspect to have
    a chance, I'd have to completely un-install and then re-install.  With
    the potential registration problems, I am loathe to do that until
    after tax time and the program actually dies at which time I can
    install the Sunset version.

There is clearly something screwy going on.  In addition to not being
    able to open those files, it does not even have the proper icon for
    the file.

Looking at the related qif.document entry in the registry, I see that
    the entries are identical; and, creating a test file as you did,
    except calling it test.qif, results in a file that both has the proper
    Money icon, and also gives the Money Pop-up message when clicked.

--Ron

Friday, October 8, 2010 9:52 AM

Hmmm.  I seem to have made some progress since making that dummy QIF
    file.

If Money is closed, and I right click on the OFX file, select Money
    Import Handler, I will get the Money PopUp.  If I open Money, the
    file(s) will be imported.

If Money is already open when I do this, nothing happens.

If I double click on the file, nothing happens.

The "always use this program" button on the "open with" dialog box is
    grayed out.

And running Getdata.py still doesn't get the information into Money.

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:09 AM

Finally, success.  And I'll post the details here in case others have
    a similar problem.

I downloaded a program  "An Utility to Unassociate File Types in
    Windows 7 and Vista"  from

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/231/1/An-Utility-to-Unassociate-File-Types-in-Windows-7-and-Vista.html

After selecting to dissociate the .ofx file, it became "ASSOCIATED"
    with mnyimprt as it should;  the proper "Money" icon began showing up
    with these files; and Getdata.py seems to be working as designed.

The "select program as default" box is still grayed out and cannot be
    changed, but it is now checked whereas before it was deselected.

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Ron,

I suspect you've tried Moneydance or some other program that "took over" the OFX file association.  If that was the case, uninstalling that program may have made it easier to reassociate the file with Money;s Import Handler.

Friday, October 8, 2010 2:45 PM
  • On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 14:45:56 +0000, ameridan wrote:

Ron,

I suspect you've tried Moneydance or some other program that "took over" the OFX file association.  If that was the case, uninstalling that program may have made it easier to reassociate the file with Money;s Import Handler.

I've tried MoneyDance but uninstalled it.  I also use MS Office
    Accounting 2009.  In any event, it seems to be working as designed
    right now, since removing the associations.

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:13 PM
  • I know this post is closed, but THANK YOU. I also had tried MoneyDance and my OFX association had the same problem. This forums and the unassociate utility fixed my problem.
    MichaelM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:40 PM