Drive partition options? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS on a spare desktop. The original machine had Windows XP Pro installed on a 60GB drive. I used XP to install and set up a hardware RAID 1 [2x1TB] drive, then replaced the XP system drive with a new[ish] 250GB drive and installed WHS using the multiple F6's to install the RAID drivers. No problem with the installation, but when I opened up the WHS console, I was surprised to find out that the installation had partitioned the 250GB drive into a 20GB system [C:] partition, and a 230GB data partition to give me a 1.25TB deata space. I couldn't find any way to tell WHS not to put a data partition on the system drive. Is thjere any way of doing this? Please do not get into a RAID discussion as it seems irrelevant to my question. I assume the same would have happened had I just had the 250GB drive and a single 1TB [non-RAID] drive installed.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:07 AM

Answers

• I just installed WHS on a spare desktop. The original machine had Windows XP Pro installed on a 60GB drive. I used XP to install and set up a hardware RAID 1 [2x1TB] drive, then replaced the XP system drive with a new[ish] 250GB drive and installed WHS using the multiple F6's to install the RAID drivers. No problem with the installation, but when I opened up the WHS console, I was surprised to find out that the installation had partitioned the 250GB drive into a 20GB system [C:] partition, and a 230GB data partition to give me a 1.25TB deata space. I couldn't find any way to tell WHS not to put a data partition on the system drive. Is thjere any way of doing this? Please do not get into a RAID discussion as it seems irrelevant to my question. I assume the same would have happened had I just had the 250GB drive and a single 1TB [non-RAID] drive installed.

There's no way to force Windows Home Server tyo put the system partition on one drive, and all data partitions on other drives. The system drive will be split as you saw.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ejg-gottwaldus Saturday, February 6, 2010 8:06 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:18 AM