MCPD 4 - Enterprise App Developer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I currently have no certification and intend to attend boot camp training (in India) to gain an MCPD. Before going further with my question my background;

• 23 odd years of professional software development since my 2.1 BSc(Hons) in Computing Science.
    • Developing on Windows since 3.1, lots of Win API systems programming experience.
    • Strong OO design & analysis experience.
    • 15+ years Windows C++ (Some Borland, mostly Visual C++ with MFC)
    • Good multi-threading knowledge & experience.
    • About 5 years C#/.Net from 1.1 through to 3.0/3.5 ish - though except for first and last 1 years, mostly a bit of fiddling to keep hand in -see next point!).
    • About 1 yrs recent & current "full-on" development experience after 3 years in the wilderness as a (actually very good) Dev Mgr.
    • Mostly Windows Server & Desktop Apps but also some Web - but not very strong.

I am now back contracting as a dev in the UK and want certification but not just for the cert, as much for the wider knowledge base to complement my very broad and strong experience.

I have time available at the end of 2010 and intend to do a number of boot camp training/certification courses - including MCPD. (The others relate to pentration testing/ethical hacking).  To strengthen my web development I am opting for the Enterprise Applications MCPD, however as there is no EA MCPD for .Net 4 I don't know if I should do the MCPD EA .Net 3.5 and then upgrade or just do MCPD 4.0 Windows and then the additional training/exam for 4.0 Web?

Furthermore, another option open to me is to do complete MCPD 3.5 EA (training/cert) and then do complete MCPD 4.0. Yes this would cost me a little more but would I gain any additional knowledge by doing this. i.e. Do you miss things by doing 4.0 cert & not 3.5? Remember that the knowledge is just as important to me, if not more, as the certification itself.

Regards,

Will Hopkins

• Edited by whopkinscom Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:22 AM bullet order wrong on last two!
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:21 AM

Answers

• If knowledge is important to you, rather than just havong the latest cert, I'd suggest going for the 3.5 EA. You will cover, on one side, the Framework fundamentals (70-536), which are not covered in the 4.0 exams. Then, you also get WCF and ADO.Net, which would not be covered by Web/Windows on 4.0. So, all in all, the 3.5 training gets you a wider base of knowledge.

If you later want to have one certification on 4.0, you can do, for instance, the 70-515 exam, which will get you a MCTS:Web developer and takes very little additional study beyond what you already did for 3.5. If you want to take the "Pro" exam on 4.0 to get the MCPD, you will find that the skills tested are very similar to the ones for version 3.5, so it should require very little additional preparation.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Hi Will,

There are upgrade exams from MCPD EA 3.5 to MCPD 4.0 Web and MCPD 4.0 Windows so only a couple of exams to upgrade to latest certificates.

Hope this helps,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:03 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:02 PM

All replies

• If knowledge is important to you, rather than just havong the latest cert, I'd suggest going for the 3.5 EA. You will cover, on one side, the Framework fundamentals (70-536), which are not covered in the 4.0 exams. Then, you also get WCF and ADO.Net, which would not be covered by Web/Windows on 4.0. So, all in all, the 3.5 training gets you a wider base of knowledge.

If you later want to have one certification on 4.0, you can do, for instance, the 70-515 exam, which will get you a MCTS:Web developer and takes very little additional study beyond what you already did for 3.5. If you want to take the "Pro" exam on 4.0 to get the MCPD, you will find that the skills tested are very similar to the ones for version 3.5, so it should require very little additional preparation.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Hi Will,

There are upgrade exams from MCPD EA 3.5 to MCPD 4.0 Web and MCPD 4.0 Windows so only a couple of exams to upgrade to latest certificates.

Hope this helps,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:03 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:02 PM
  • ...Then, you also get WCF and ADO.Net, which would not be covered by Web/Windows on 4.0... 

This is not correct. The prerequisites to obtain MCPD Web Developer 4 certification are: Web Applications, Service Communication Applications, Data Access plus the final Exam 70-519: PRO: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:33 PM
  • You are right, of course. I'm afraid I was thinking about about the MCTS:Web Developer 4 (instead of the MCPD) when I wrote the text quoted above. My apologies.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi Will,

Please can you let me know if you managed to find a good bootcamp in India for the training, the only one I've found is Koenig, but I'm not sure if they're good.

I'm planning to do MCPD 4.0 starting early Jan 2011 in India, your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Himanshu

Monday, December 13, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

Please can anyone let me know if there is a good bootcamp in India for the training, the only one I've found is Koenig, but I'm not sure if they're good.

I'm planning to do MCPD 4.0 starting early Jan 2011 in India, your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Himanshu

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:30 AM
  • you suggest yu to buy the training kit in amazone.com ,read and do exercices ,It can help yu.less two week..

Good luck

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:19 PM
  • you suggest yu to buy the training kit in amazone.com ,read and do exercices ,It can help yu.less two week..

Good luck

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:19 PM