Restore Back up files from One Care Back Up to new Hard Drive when One Care does not show "restore files" RRS feed

• Question

• Pleases help an "old" 70+ non techy lady.  I backed up my computer with One Care - it is a HP &  has 2 HD + a "D recovery" drive - and one HD crashed.  HP replaced the one that crashed - the other is still intact with all information. One care now recognizes the "new HD" as another computer in my One Care Circle.  
    I now have in One Care Circle:
    JAYNE PC (The one with the new C:Hard dirve)
    JAYNE LAPTOP (my laptop)
    JAYNE PC (the one with the crashed HD)  ( now stating it is no longer found) Before I started to "choose" the files this one did have "restore back up" in blue next to it.
    I did not want to restore to 2nd HD that still has all the information on it or to the "recovery" D drive. I tried to restore the files to the new hd by selecting only C file and during the time I was "choosing" the files to restore I was interupted and the computer turned off by itself before I got back to it. Now when I go to One Care to my  "work on restore" the files it no longer "sees the Back Up or associates it with the old JAYNE PC  computer as it did before I started choosing the files to restore, yet the back up is is still intact on my external HD. How can I now access it through One Care to do a restore for just the C hd when it no longer shows this PC as having a back up??   I have not backed up the new C hd as it doesn't have anything on it.  LOL  I am the Administrator on all the PCs.  Please HELP...
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:49 PM

Answers

• Your backups should not contain anything from your D:\ recovery drive as that drive should only contain the original factory image.
    If OneCare does not currently see the backups to restore, you may need to configure backup on the newly restored PC and run a backup to the external disk. Since there is little data there and it is a "new" PC to OneCare, it will create a new backup folder and won't touch your old one on the external drive.
    Once you have created the new backup, use the Restore wizard to do a custom restore per the following instructions. If you need help with it, you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

8. Open OneCare.
    9. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    10. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    11. Click Custom Restore.
    12. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.
      –or–
      Restore files that were backed up from another computer.
      1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
      1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
      2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
      3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
    13. –or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

14. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.
      1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then Restoclick Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.
      1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.
    15. –or–
      Restore specific types of files.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

16. Click Restore files.
    17. Click Finish.
    18. Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

Pasted from <http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us>

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:20 PM