Firewire card RRS feed

• Question

• Have beening running WHS for a couple of weeks,

on a Dell with  2.26 p4 with 756 mb ram and 250 MB HD.

running good,  put new firewire card in to add 2 external drives..

sees card in device manager no problem but will not see drives when powered up..

one actually tries but will not recognize. 

card is  Sabrent supporting xp...

Product # : SBT-VT6306
    Product Name :
    Firewire 3+1 Ports IEEE 1394 PCI Host Controller Card with 6pin to 4pin Firewire Cable

is this card or some beta issue..

Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:25 AM

Answers

• I’ve got to warn you first that I am more of a software guy than a hardware guy... in fact hardware and I tend to rarely get along.

That being said... I’m at a bit of a loss.

From the sounds of it, Device Manager is reporting the card installed and working properly... but the two firewire drives you plug-in are not being recognized... do you have another firewire card you could try? Or better yet another device?

Ordinarily my first suggestion would be to get a driver that supports 2003 for sure (just in case)... however I’m not having much luck in finding that... or even confirmation of if the card works under 2003.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:13 PM

All replies

• Just to confirm... this card and drives work fine under XP?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:06 AM
  • drives were on an xp and vista box and workling fine. The card is new howver for the WHS, i will verfy that tomorrow in the xp box just ran out of time. Though device manager is identifying card correctly. and shows it workling fine..

card on web site says supports XP, so did not really have any concerns as WHS is a 2003 variant.. but will get to puting in xp box tomorrow when i get home from work.

thanks for replying

Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Well moved card to xp box.. 

on xp car was recognied right away on boot..

Hooked drives and system saw them as well and were in my computer..

put card back in WHS box

card is regonized appears to be same driver as xp

but will not recognize the drives.. 

any ideas..

Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:38 PM
  • I’ve got to warn you first that I am more of a software guy than a hardware guy... in fact hardware and I tend to rarely get along.

That being said... I’m at a bit of a loss.

From the sounds of it, Device Manager is reporting the card installed and working properly... but the two firewire drives you plug-in are not being recognized... do you have another firewire card you could try? Or better yet another device?

Ordinarily my first suggestion would be to get a driver that supports 2003 for sure (just in case)... however I’m not having much luck in finding that... or even confirmation of if the card works under 2003.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Thanks for reply its only $12. card was on sale...

Any suggestions on a card that might work?  dont want to spend tons of money and this machine doesnt have a pci express slot, most 2003 cards are pci e cards..and over $50.00

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:29 PM
  • I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get a firewire drive recognized on my system.  then, when I did I received nothing but grief.   I think the confusion may be that there is a device driver for the firewire port (the actual card in your case) and then there's a separate driver for the firewire to IDE adapter (which allows the firewire drive to appear as a hard drive).  Check your device manager to make sure both devices show up.

Now, once you get your firewire drive recognized I would recommend doing some general file i/o with it before trying to add it to the WHS drive pool.  After adding my firewire drive my event log filled up with EventID 9: The device, \Device\Sbp2\&1394 to ATA&0&0030e00e_8201, did not respond within the timeout period.

The event error occurs every four minutes from the moment I added the device to the WHS drive pool until I was finally able to yank it out.  I'm assuming its some kind of chipset issue.  I've seen a similar issue on XP and maybe it just isn't fixed on this build of W2K3. 

If your enclosure supports USB2 I think you're much better off for the beta using USB than trying to muck about with firewire.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Thanks for reply was just going to post a question of supported firewire cards.

I do see in device manager both the card and the driver for storage.  The drive actually shows up in the drive section of the device manager but has yellow question mark that indicates it can not recognize this storage device as if its the drive/enclosure thats the problem.

like you said I will stick with the USB for now until beta is done and device manufactures add WHS to thier supported products.

- since this was $12 card i was not to worried. I was looking at other cards some XP / VISTA 32/64 compantible but only one i found that was win2k3 compatible and it ws $40.. the one that is xp vista 32/64 was only $10. must be something in server plug and play that is not as open as xp or vista. 

Enought time spent on this issue.....

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 12:38 PM