CRM 2011 Online and mail managment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I followed several dicussions and red the information given by this link : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2009/12/07/configure-microsoft-dynamics-crm-online-e-mail-router-with-exchange-online.aspx

Where I found that :

"Prerequisites

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online subscription.
    • Microsoft Exchange Online mailboxes.
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online E-mail Router installed on-premises (Nov 2009 update or later). "

I am wondering (do not understand) why the e-mail router should be on-premises where both Exchange and CRM are Online ?

Is there a way to have it all on-line ?

I am actually looking for the best solution to avoid using the Outlook client. I wxas thinking of OWA (Outlook Web App) to be fully online but this e-mail router being on-premise is anoying.

Could someone clarify this for me please ?

Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• You could host a virtual server in Azure (or another hosting provider) and install the email router there.

E-mail queues in MS Dynamics CRM 2011 Online using Exchange Online and Windows Azure

Reason being CRM does not not have the capacity to send emails itself. Thus the need for either the email router or sending through Outlook. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking time to answer. Yes of course I undersatnd CRM does not have the capacity to send/receive emails but Exchange has does not it ? So, let me put it in other words, why Exchange server can not be used to route emails ?

Youcef

Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Yes Exchange of course can be used to send/receive email but natively it does not have the ability to connect to CRM - therefore we need a piece of middleware (the email router) to connect the two together. The email router provides a it more flexibility as it can connect to Exchange on premise, Exchange online, and other email providers. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by yodo94 Monday, April 1, 2013 5:50 PM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for your help. It is very clear now for me.

Best regards.

Youcef

Monday, April 1, 2013 5:52 PM