Seeking upgrade advise for motherboard change with oem windows xp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Having tinkered with upgrading pci cards,accessories and wireless internet i wanted to upgrade my current motherboard to allow a faster processor etc. Having read the forums i am now quite unsure about it all as its given me more q's than answers !!

My computer is 5 yrs old and as i'm studying for a computer maintenance course i wanted to use my pc as some practical practice for me, without breaking it !

The operating system is an OEM version of windows xp home saved on a hard disc partition i believe, and i have a reload/backup cd for it. The original motherboard became faulty 2/3 yrs ago and was replaced under warrantly by the seller TIME Computers (who have since gone bust) ,  the product key for windows on the case is different to the findings of the belarc program- i asume it's because of the motherboard change ? The belarc program has given me the "current" windows product id and windows product key.

My current processor is an athlon 1400, slow and struggles a lot, very slow by todays standards and is the reason for the motherboard upgrade as the current board can only be upgraded to 1800 , so hardly seems worth it.

I wanted to stay with an "a" socket  motherboard that i have bought in readyness but am now worried that i am not in a position to do an upgrade due to microsoft rules, although the computer does seem to be restarting itself quite often recently, the same problem as the old motherboard before it was replaced !

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Paul

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:49 PM

Answers

• Welsh Wizard,

A full retail version of XP Home can be moved from one computer to another.

I don't use upgrades all that much, but I think the rules are that upgrade (which are retail) versions of XP Home can be moved from one computer to another as long as the OS from which you upgraded could also have been moved from one computer to another.  IOW, the upgrade can only do what the previous OS could do.  But I don't know for sure, I'd have to have a look at the specific EULA.

And you are right, an new OEM license would be married to the new motherboard just like the Time OEM license is married to the original Time motherboard.  Because it would not be fair to "lose your license for XP" just because a component failed, MS does allow an exception to the motherboard rule to accommodate situations where the original motherboard has become defective, in those cases you can replace the motherboard and still use the original OEM license.  If you replace the defective with the manufacturer's motherboard, then the SLP-locked OEM installation media will continue to work for installations.  If such a one-for-one replacement is not available, then XP can be installed using genuine systembuilder/OEM media (which you would have to borrow from someone), and activated by telephone using the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity that is affixed to the Time computer. 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:33 PM
  • Welsh Wizard,

Replacing the motherboard for the purposes of upgrading performance constitutes the creation of a new computer, and OEM licensing prohibits moving an OEM license for XP from one computer to another.

Furthermore, if you have a manufacturer produced recovery CD, it is very likely that CD will refuse to install its copy of XP on a computer that is not from the manufacturer.  The CD looks for special info burned into the motherboard BIOS that will only be present on a Time Computers motherboard.

Monday, March 5, 2007 3:27 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

In order to change motherboard and stay within the Windows licensing rules what version of windows would i need to do it ? A full version of home or would the upgrade version be sufficient do you know ? I could by another oem version but i would be stuck with the same problem again wouldn't i !!

Paul

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:20 PM
  • software windows internet EXplorer downioads

search and hardware fer the windows xp system

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:20 PM

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hello, I have read through this thread and it addresses an issue I currently have.

I have a legal OEM version of XP Home edition on my PC however the small PC shop I bought it from has closed down so I have no support from them.

My ATI motherboard became faulty and I replaced it with a MSI board (I was unaware that the OEM version burns information into the board and that another board constitues a new PC which it would then not work on)

"If you replace the defective with the manufacturer's motherboard, then the SLP-locked OEM installation will continue to work for installations" Can you clarify that this has to be the exact same board or whether any board from that manufacturer will work?

In the case the exact same board is no longer on the market.

"If such a one-for-one replacement is not available, then XP can be installed using genuine systembuilder/OEM media...and activated by telephone..."

Can you please advise where I get this systembuilder/OEM media? I have the OEM XP Home CD is it on that? or do I borrow a full XP Home version from a friend and use that then register it using my OEM Product Key (which I have on the side of my PC)

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

P.S. please advise if you wish me to post this as a new thread.

THanks

Dan

Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:35 PM
  •  

Monday, September 24, 2007 12:46 PM
  • Do you have a WGA question?

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:11 PM
  • CLMuir,

Please post your Vista related question in the Vista WGA forum at this link:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1004&SiteID=25

Once you do that, please help keep the XP forum neat and delete this original post.  Thank U!

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:50 AM

All replies

• Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:33 PM
  • Welsh Wizard,

Replacing the motherboard for the purposes of upgrading performance constitutes the creation of a new computer, and OEM licensing prohibits moving an OEM license for XP from one computer to another.

Furthermore, if you have a manufacturer produced recovery CD, it is very likely that CD will refuse to install its copy of XP on a computer that is not from the manufacturer.  The CD looks for special info burned into the motherboard BIOS that will only be present on a Time Computers motherboard.

Monday, March 5, 2007 3:27 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

In order to change motherboard and stay within the Windows licensing rules what version of windows would i need to do it ? A full version of home or would the upgrade version be sufficient do you know ? I could by another oem version but i would be stuck with the same problem again wouldn't i !!

Paul

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:20 PM

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:20 PM

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Welsh Wizard,

A full retail version of XP Home can be moved from one computer to another.

I don't use upgrades all that much, but I think the rules are that upgrade (which are retail) versions of XP Home can be moved from one computer to another as long as the OS from which you upgraded could also have been moved from one computer to another.  IOW, the upgrade can only do what the previous OS could do.  But I don't know for sure, I'd have to have a look at the specific EULA.

And you are right, an new OEM license would be married to the new motherboard just like the Time OEM license is married to the original Time motherboard.  Because it would not be fair to "lose your license for XP" just because a component failed, MS does allow an exception to the motherboard rule to accommodate situations where the original motherboard has become defective, in those cases you can replace the motherboard and still use the original OEM license.  If you replace the defective with the manufacturer's motherboard, then the SLP-locked OEM installation media will continue to work for installations.  If such a one-for-one replacement is not available, then XP can be installed using genuine systembuilder/OEM media (which you would have to borrow from someone), and activated by telephone using the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity that is affixed to the Time computer. 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Hello, I have read through this thread and it addresses an issue I currently have.

I have a legal OEM version of XP Home edition on my PC however the small PC shop I bought it from has closed down so I have no support from them.

My ATI motherboard became faulty and I replaced it with a MSI board (I was unaware that the OEM version burns information into the board and that another board constitues a new PC which it would then not work on)

"If you replace the defective with the manufacturer's motherboard, then the SLP-locked OEM installation will continue to work for installations" Can you clarify that this has to be the exact same board or whether any board from that manufacturer will work?

In the case the exact same board is no longer on the market.

"If such a one-for-one replacement is not available, then XP can be installed using genuine systembuilder/OEM media...and activated by telephone..."

Can you please advise where I get this systembuilder/OEM media? I have the OEM XP Home CD is it on that? or do I borrow a full XP Home version from a friend and use that then register it using my OEM Product Key (which I have on the side of my PC)

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

P.S. please advise if you wish me to post this as a new thread.

THanks

Dan

Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:35 PM
  • Dan_Bee,

The only motherboards that have information burned into the BIOS would be motherboards from major manufacturers suchs as Dell, HP, IBM, Acer, Toshiba, etc.  It's called SLP (System Lock Preinstall).  These manufacturers then make customized recovery CDs that are designed to install XP only on a motherboard that has the right information embedded into it.  It's a way to curb software pirating thru casual copying without the hassle that individual activation would cause for a company that builds tens of thousands of computers a day.

Motherboards available thru normal retail channels and neighborhood systembuilders such as those from MSI

and ATI (I did not know that ATI was making its own branded motherboards) would not have SLP technology built-in.

As to which XP you have, look at the CoA that was applied to the computer.  If the line under the product description has a manufacturer's name on it, then it is expected that the accompanying CD would be a manufacturer-branded CD that would incorporate SLP.  If the line under the product description is "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" then the accompanying CD is the generic systembuilder/OEM CD.

From your description, I think you already have a systembuilder/OEM CD.  It will be a holographic CD and at the 11 o'clock position it will read "For distribution with a new PC only...."

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:57 PM
  •  

Monday, September 24, 2007 12:46 PM
  • Do you have a WGA question?

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Just to correct an earlier typo my previous motherboard was ABIT not ATI. Do you know if ABIT (KV8 Pro) would have System Lock Preinstall technology?

I have checked and my CoA has OEM Software and the CD is a systembuilder/OEM CD.

Problem I am now having is that I can boot of the CD and is see's the HDD drives (when I load in the MSI drivers from floppy - using F6) I have then tried installing windows on a blank HHD which it does but then when the system reboots to finish installation I have to start again from scratch.

Or if I try and run the repair tool it gives me the option of drives to repair, I select the partition with existing XP installation and get a command prompt. I am not sure what I need to do from there.

I have read through the 'How to replace a failed motherboard' instructions on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125/en-us#top

According to this I use the repair option on existing XP installation drive (after installing motherboard) then once i choose the repair option I follow the instructions to install the HAL IDE or other drivers for the motherboard. 

I have no instructions when using repair option. Are you able to advise regarding this? and should this overcome the problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:39 PM
  • I do... I bought an Intel motherboard, Pentium processor, memory, HDD, etc., and a new OEM version of XP Home, from TigerDirect.com two years ago, and built my own PC.  Now I'd like to change just the processor (to a Pentium D), leaving all the other components the same (including the motherboard).  Can I do that, and continue to use the existing copy of XP?
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:46 AM
  •  

Hello Tommcs,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:34 AM
  • Hello,

My Laptop broke down about 5 weeks ago and i sent it in to HP to get it fixed. They called me saying they had to replace the motherboard. I got the computer back 1 week ago and it worked fine up until yesterday. I had to restart my computer because my internet went down and its real bad Smile. When i restarted it i tryed to log on and it took longer then usual. When i log on all i see is a window saying I had activate it with my Product Key so i tryed it. Didn't work. So i called to activate my windows and the voice told me that my windows was no longer valid.

Not sure if will helpSadbottom right corner it says:Windows Vista(TM)

Build 6000

This copy of Windows is not genuine

I don't get how it cannot be genuine because i bought it at a Future Shop and it came with it already installed.

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:39 AM
  • CLMuir,

Please post your Vista related question in the Vista WGA forum at this link:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1004&SiteID=25

Once you do that, please help keep the XP forum neat and delete this original post.  Thank U!

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:50 AM