none
Opening vhd without vmc RRS feed

• Question

• I have download some course material from MCT download center and there is only VHD files without the VMC. I have read the setup pdf and it requires a real server with Hyper V manager to be enable. I have tried Virtual PC & VM Player and they dont work too.

I am using normal desktop with 8GB RAM and win7 x64. I got all the drives and base (e.g for exchange 2010) downloaded. Now my question is how do I start this virtual environment?

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:29 AM

Answers

• You can boot the VHD using Windows 7. Scott Hanselman did a great post on this here

In your case that is what you will need to do as you are running Windows Server 2008 with Hyper V

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Hi,

Ok this information is pretty old it might not be 100% accurate but we did a lot of experimentation with virtual machines. I believe we found that Suns Virtual Box was a bit more open in the HD formats it supported. I think that it didn't support VHD format but it contained a command line tool that converted VHD to a format that was supported.

That is a bit vague sorry, it was a while ago, and information stored in the brain has a tendency to evaporate.

Yeah I remember a bit more, we got a VM in the Microsoft VHD format but our VMWare server software didn't support it, or didn't attach it correctly, so we used Virtual Box to convert it to a format that Virtual Box could run and that format was supported by our VMWare server. We had it on the server and our desktops.

Perhaps the solution is to do something similar. The convertion tool I think came as part of Virtual Box but there was another one ... can't remember what it was called.... getting old dude. I'll post if I remember more.

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff. He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination." - Fred Brooks
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:59 AM
  • First you need to have Virtual PC. If you don't have one you can grab it from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Secondly Create a virtual machine by starting the Virutal PC i.e Start ->Microsoft Virtual PC (in the Search Box, if not go to All Program and find the Virtual PC) -> Click the new (Alternatively you can choose File Menu -> New Virtual Machine Wizard  both results are same) -> Create a new virtual machine -> Provide an appropriate location (Not very important for me, just give some location) -> Choose the operating system depending on the download you have -> Adjust the memory to increase the size (since you have 8GB) -> Choose an existing hard disk and point to the vhd you have download it from the Microsoft site.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

Umapathy (உமாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• You can boot the VHD using Windows 7. Scott Hanselman did a great post on this here

In your case that is what you will need to do as you are running Windows Server 2008 with Hyper V

Monday, August 8, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Scott's idea is good but not exactly to what I want. Is there anything that can boot up the vhd like using virtual pc? I am using win 7 pro, not server2008 hyper V.

Monday, August 8, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

Ok this information is pretty old it might not be 100% accurate but we did a lot of experimentation with virtual machines. I believe we found that Suns Virtual Box was a bit more open in the HD formats it supported. I think that it didn't support VHD format but it contained a command line tool that converted VHD to a format that was supported.

That is a bit vague sorry, it was a while ago, and information stored in the brain has a tendency to evaporate.

Yeah I remember a bit more, we got a VM in the Microsoft VHD format but our VMWare server software didn't support it, or didn't attach it correctly, so we used Virtual Box to convert it to a format that Virtual Box could run and that format was supported by our VMWare server. We had it on the server and our desktops.

Perhaps the solution is to do something similar. The convertion tool I think came as part of Virtual Box but there was another one ... can't remember what it was called.... getting old dude. I'll post if I remember more.

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff. He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination." - Fred Brooks
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:59 AM
  • First you need to have Virtual PC. If you don't have one you can grab it from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Secondly Create a virtual machine by starting the Virutal PC i.e Start ->Microsoft Virtual PC (in the Search Box, if not go to All Program and find the Virtual PC) -> Click the new (Alternatively you can choose File Menu -> New Virtual Machine Wizard  both results are same) -> Create a new virtual machine -> Provide an appropriate location (Not very important for me, just give some location) -> Choose the operating system depending on the download you have -> Adjust the memory to increase the size (since you have 8GB) -> Choose an existing hard disk and point to the vhd you have download it from the Microsoft site.

Umapathy (உமாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:32 PM

I also opened the vmc file in a notepad. It's an XML files that consists of the information about you settings and the hardware resources you have. Microsoft doesn't know what's your hardware when they ship the product. That could be the reason why microsoft doesn't ship vmc stands for Virtual Machine Configuration I guess.

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:43 PM

I have tried that but the virtual pc keeps reloading the windows files and restarting.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Wahkau, well I can download and test it on my system can you confirm that you have downloaded it from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5002 or some where else?. If you have downloaded it from some where else will you please share the location so that I can download the same vhd to test it. Also can you confirm that the OS you have is a 32 bit of 64 bit of Windows 7. Further the virtual pc also corresponds the host operating system?. Please note that download takes time solution may delay a bit.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Well that wont work .. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/eb8b4d36-3813-4246-ba15-9668838cf2c6/

Hyper-V HAL is very different from VPC HAL.. hence the original posters issue.

Also see http://sqlblog.com/blogs/john_paul_cook/archive/2009/08/29/migrating-a-virtual-machine-from-virtual-pc-to-hyper-v-and-back.aspx

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:43 PM