PIC support in Public Beta? RRS feed

• Question

• Is PIC (Public IM Connectivity) supported in the public beta version of OCS 2007?  

Monday, April 9, 2007 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

The answer is Yes. You will need an Edge server and there are instructions in  the OCS Edge Server Deployment guide, step 4.3 on page 77.

You can get the documentation here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0A3E2593-5812-4BF5-A554-3215CBBA587A&displaylang=en

I hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 5:35 AM
  • Ok.  The way I read 4.3 on page 77 is that you are enabling the user to use IM, Fed, remote connectivity, etc.  4.1 talks about setting up a federation, but no where in the 4.x sections does it mention anything about IM Partnership (PIC) setup.  Is Public IM rolled into federation setup for OCS 2007?

thanks.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:06 PM
  • It does work and can be configured by following the documentation. Start new threads with any issues that come up during setup for assistance.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

The answer is Yes. You will need an Edge server and there are instructions in  the OCS Edge Server Deployment guide, step 4.3 on page 77.

You can get the documentation here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0A3E2593-5812-4BF5-A554-3215CBBA587A&displaylang=en

I hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 5:35 AM
  • Ok.  The way I read 4.3 on page 77 is that you are enabling the user to use IM, Fed, remote connectivity, etc.  4.1 talks about setting up a federation, but no where in the 4.x sections does it mention anything about IM Partnership (PIC) setup.  Is Public IM rolled into federation setup for OCS 2007?

thanks.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly, IM partnership is federation. You need to configure federation with an edge server, and also have your partner do the same.

Monday, April 23, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Thom,

Did Microsoft merge PIC with federation? PIC is the connectivity from a company's OCS system to Yahoo, AOL, and MSN public IM network.   In 2005, PIC existed as a seperate configuration setup.  I understand that federation is setup on an edge server and the partners will need to do that same. However, due to the lack of documentation on PIC for 2007 I am concerned that this functionality is not yet complete.

-Andrew

Monday, April 23, 2007 10:19 PM
  • It does work and can be configured by following the documentation. Start new threads with any issues that come up during setup for assistance.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:55 AM