Media Smart server system drive upgrade & drive order issue RRS feed

• Question

• I want to upgrage my system drive to an out of the box "NEW" 2 TB herd drive. When attempting to remove the system drive in the Windows Home Server Console, I notice that the system drive is listed 2nd from the top (3rd slot) rater than physically in the bottom slot  (1). The feilds are greyed out, not allowing me to remove the drive from list.  The list is wrong for the drives in their physical locations (desending)

LISTED DRIVE                      PHYSICAL DRIVE
       4   - 1 TB                           500 GB
     *3   - 500 GB                     *1 TB *** LISTED AS OPERATING SYSTEM DRIVE                                                                    2   - 500 GB                       1 TB
       1   - 1 TB                           500 GB

What can I do to restore this without losing my data on all four drives, and regain the ability to swap out the system drive for a larer one?
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• You will never be given the option in the console to remove the System drive - its a safety mechanism to stop you from doing it accidently.

Im not sure from memory that the order shown in the console on your Media Smart actually matches the physical order - are you using an EX47x series or the EX48x series?

You should be able to just replace the system drive and perform a server reinstall to retain your data.

If you still have a free drive bay can I suggest that you just add the new drive to the storage pool rather than changing the system drive. Why do you want to do that anyway?

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Actually Ken, the new HP EX48x series actually say which slot each drive is in, which makes it very easy to know which drive to pull if necessary :-)

Andrew
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:30 AM

All replies

• You will never be given the option in the console to remove the System drive - its a safety mechanism to stop you from doing it accidently.

Im not sure from memory that the order shown in the console on your Media Smart actually matches the physical order - are you using an EX47x series or the EX48x series?

You should be able to just replace the system drive and perform a server reinstall to retain your data.

If you still have a free drive bay can I suggest that you just add the new drive to the storage pool rather than changing the system drive. Why do you want to do that anyway?

Andrew
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:29 PM
  • As far as I have ever been able to tell the console displays drives in reverse alphabetical order or something equally unintuitive. It doesn't matter what version of Windows Home Server you have (HP, Acer, home-built are all the same)...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Actually Ken, the new HP EX48x series actually say which slot each drive is in, which makes it very easy to know which drive to pull if necessary :-)

Andrew
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:30 AM