WHS PC Backup Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi backups have stopped working.  Error message in application log = Cannot back up volume {d2aeae5b-ba2c-11de-9084-806e6f6e6963} because its file system is not NTFS.

2nd message = Backup set 55 on SVR01 failed: Volume {d2aeae5b-ba2c-11de-9084-806e6f6e6963} file system unknown is not supported
    However I am using NTFS.

Can anyone help please
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:01 AM

Answers

• Yes its been working fine for a while, nothing has changed on the system.  Drive is NTFS and has always been.  I have however managed to locate the problem and to resolve.

Seems strange that another member is also having the same problem over the same time.  Maybe an update released has caused a problem.  I have however noted a problem - seems 40 odd days ago, the backup changed from just backing up my C drives on my systems to now include the hidden partitions.  As these are NON NTFS volumes, WHS will not back these up. 

At no time, have I altered the settings of several systems to include the hidden partition.  I can therefore only conclude an update of somesort has changed the default backup settings?  After removing the hidden partition, its resolved the problem.

If other people are still having the problem, try cleaning up your old backups first before changing the above.

• Marked as answer by steveyg_uk Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:48 AM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 8:59 PM

All replies

• I am having a similar problem.  I have three Windows 7 systems that back up to my WHS.  Backup stopped working over 40 days ago (and the manual back up have failed as well).  I"m not sure why this is the case and have not been able to find information/solution. 
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Hi backups have stopped working.  Error message in application log = Cannot back up volume {d2aeae5b-ba2c-11de-9084-806e6f6e6963} because its file system is not NTFS.

2nd message = Backup set 55 on SVR01 failed: Volume {d2aeae5b-ba2c-11de-9084-806e6f6e6963} file system unknown is not supported
    However I am using NTFS.

Can anyone help please

Has it ever worked?  Has that partition always been NTFS (or was it something else at one point and then you changed it NTFS)?
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Yes its been working fine for a while, nothing has changed on the system.  Drive is NTFS and has always been.  I have however managed to locate the problem and to resolve.

Seems strange that another member is also having the same problem over the same time.  Maybe an update released has caused a problem.  I have however noted a problem - seems 40 odd days ago, the backup changed from just backing up my C drives on my systems to now include the hidden partitions.  As these are NON NTFS volumes, WHS will not back these up. 

At no time, have I altered the settings of several systems to include the hidden partition.  I can therefore only conclude an update of somesort has changed the default backup settings?  After removing the hidden partition, its resolved the problem.

If other people are still having the problem, try cleaning up your old backups first before changing the above.

• Marked as answer by steveyg_uk Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:48 AM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 8:59 PM

That sounds like around the time Power Pack 3 was released (11/24 as I recall).  Is the OS Win7 with a System Restore partition (or an OEM-created restore partition)?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:35 AM
  • They are all Windows 7 Retail with the windows 7 system partition not OEM.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:28 AM