Can't remove a drive -- it seems to hang forever RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 drives... 2 300GB and 2 1 TB.  i want to upgrade the 300 GB drives, and have been trying to "remove" either of them for a few days, with no luck.  It seems like the home server cannot succeed in this.  here’s what happens:

- I click REMOVE on the drive…  it takes HOURS and the dialog for "Estimating available space" just sits there.  It never moves on to the next step, and at this point I have 427GB free -- way more than the size of one of the 300GB drives.  I started out with just about exactly 300GB, and have been moving stuff off to increase free space and trying again and again.   I've waited overnight, still no luck

- if I click CANCEL and then try again, it INSTANTLY tells me there’s not enough space to remove that drive. 

If I do this on the OTHER 300GB drive, the exact same thing happens.

Any ideas?  I have version 6.0.1771.0 software.

thanks!

Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:09 AM

Answers

• Joe Belfiore said:

I have 4 drives... 2 300GB and 2 1 TB.  i want to upgrade the 300 GB drives, and have been trying to "remove" either of them for a few days, with no luck.  It seems like the home server cannot succeed in this.  here’s what happens:

- I click REMOVE on the drive…  it takes HOURS and the dialog for "Estimating available space" just sits there.  It never moves on to the next step, and at this point I have 427GB free -- way more than the size of one of the 300GB drives.  I started out with just about exactly 300GB, and have been moving stuff off to increase free space and trying again and again.   I've waited overnight, still no luck

- if I click CANCEL and then try again, it INSTANTLY tells me there’s not enough space to remove that drive. 

If I do this on the OTHER 300GB drive, the exact same thing happens.

Any ideas?  I have version 6.0.1771.0 software.

thanks!

Please uninstall the beta version of Power Pack 1 and update to the released version.  Make sure that you run automatic updates until all updates are installed.  You software version(s) should be:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:42 AM