WHS conflict with Perfect Disk Professional 11 & 12 RRS feed

• Question

• When I install the WHS 2011 Connect software on my systems Perfect Disk Professional goes into a loop when trying to manually defrag (PD 11) or manually optimize (PD 12).  As soon as I uninstall the Connect Software PD runs normally.  I have this issue on two separate machines so it is not a disk error.  I was not be aware of the problem until I tried the manual defrag/optimize.  Has anybody out there experienced this conflict or am I the only WHS 2011/Perfect Disk user?
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:59 AM

Answers

• Just a follow up to the Perfect Disk/Windows Home Server 2011 saga.

I finally got a higher level Perfect Disk Technical Support person to talk to me (on the phone!) and after several hours of trying "things" he conceded there was a PD conflict with WHS 2011.  He got back to me on 9/23 and said that PD was able to reproduce the hanging problem in their test center.  I guess that should make me feel better but he said the develop people were made aware of the problem but he would not commit to a solution timeframe.  I have this strange feeling that WHS 2011 may not be on the longevity list for their development efforts?  

I cannot believe that other users of WHS 2011 and PD 11 or PD12 Professional have not encountered the hanging issue when doing a manual defrag on the boot drive.  Both systems that I have the problem on are quad processors running W7 64-bit.  As soon as I install the Connector software for WHS the PD hanging issue appears everytime AFTER a system reboot.   Uninstall the Connector software and the problem goes away.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:28 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:06 AM

All replies

• I would recommend you check with Raxco to see if they're aware of any incompatibility.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Been there done that!!!  Just checking the WHS group to confirm that it is more than my machines.
    • Edited by Ken429 Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:27 PM
  • I am running PD 12 on WHS 2011 without issue's. After the install ran manual defrags to get the disks in some resemblence of order. Since then the auto defrag has continued on fine.

Three clients are also running PD 12 as well. Both manual and auto defrags are running fine. I have done very few changes from the default settings. The one exception being to change one machine to defrag free space manually as the disk was in a poor state. Afterwards changed the setting back and all still going fine.

Just noticed that PD 12 has an update. PerfectDisk 12 Windows Home Server has been updated to Service Pack 2 (Build 285). Not sure whether it may help!.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:32 AM Add update info
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Dave,

What kind of Disk Drive are you using for the Boot Partition?  What version of W7 (32-bit or 64-bit) are you using?  I have WHS 2011 Connect Stuff on three machines and the two that I am having problems with are running W7 64-bit and have WD VelociRaptors for the Boot Partition.  The third machine, were all is well, is an old W7 32-bit system with a 500 GB Seagate 7200 RPM Drive for the Boot Partition.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Dave,

What kind of Disk Drive are you using for the Boot Partition?  What version of W7 (32-bit or 64-bit) are you using?  I have WHS 2011 Connect Stuff on three machines and the two that I am having problems with are running W7 64-bit and have WD VelociRaptors for the Boot Partition.  The third machine, were all is well, is an old W7 32-bit system with a 500 GB Seagate 7200 RPM Drive for the Boot Partition.

Maybe not an answer to you troubles, but I've got PD12 on WHS 2011 (system drive is a WD Velociraptor 300 GB) and on my desktop with Win 7 on a SSD.

No known problems with Perfect Disk 12.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Dave,

The clients are 2x win 7 32 bit and 1 x win 7 64 bit.

The boot drives vary but are WD or Seagate 250/500 GB sata drives. I am not at home presently so cannot check the exact models.

The machines are doing nothing out of the ordinary. One is my main workstation, email web browsing, general bits and pieces etc. The second is used as a media centre machine accessing its movies, music and pictures off the WHS. The third (win 7 64 Bit)  is basically being used as a NAS box. I am using synctoy to keep the data on the server in sync with the data on the "NAS" box. Effectively replacing part of DE funtionality to give me two copies of all data. PD 12 is running on all machines and is giving no issue's.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Dave & ChristianJohansson,

I appreciate the information and you have convinced me something else is going on with my two W7 64-bit systems.  I have the same software on both of them so maybe it its someone else getting involved.  I did clone one of the Raptors and tried running W7 64-bit from a WD 500 GB drive and still had the problem.  Perfect Disk technical support is very supportive and looking for a core dump so they can try to figure out what the #### is going on.  I'll keep you posted if we ever get to the bottom of what is causing ME the problem on two separate systems. 

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Just a follow up to the Perfect Disk/Windows Home Server 2011 saga.

I finally got a higher level Perfect Disk Technical Support person to talk to me (on the phone!) and after several hours of trying "things" he conceded there was a PD conflict with WHS 2011.  He got back to me on 9/23 and said that PD was able to reproduce the hanging problem in their test center.  I guess that should make me feel better but he said the develop people were made aware of the problem but he would not commit to a solution timeframe.  I have this strange feeling that WHS 2011 may not be on the longevity list for their development efforts?  

I cannot believe that other users of WHS 2011 and PD 11 or PD12 Professional have not encountered the hanging issue when doing a manual defrag on the boot drive.  Both systems that I have the problem on are quad processors running W7 64-bit.  As soon as I install the Connector software for WHS the PD hanging issue appears everytime AFTER a system reboot.   Uninstall the Connector software and the problem goes away.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:28 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:06 AM
  • I would guess that it's an environment dependent issue, so if you don't have some specific (and perhaps uncommon) bit of hardware or software installed other than the Windows Home Server connector and PerfectDisk, then you don't see the issue.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:30 PM
  • I suppose you feel the need to respond with the obvious but... how come PD could reproduce the problem at their test site?  I did not give them a list of the software I have installed which is pretty much mainstream stuff although, they had enough system dumps etc. to figure out what I have running on my machines.  On a cold rainy day I'll try uninstalling on my test system one piece of software one at a time until the problem goes away. 
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:13 PM
  • I'll chime in here as I beta test for PD.  AFAIK, this was not reported during the beta testing of PD12.  I tried to reproduce on my Atom 510 test box, but I could not reproduce.  Most likely, it is something unique in your hardware.  They most likely duplicated the hang with hardware virtualization.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I suppose you feel the need to respond with the obvious but... how come PD could reproduce the problem at their test site? I did not give them a list of the software I have installed which is pretty much mainstream stuff although, they had enough system dumps etc. to figure out what I have running on my machines. On a cold rainy day I'll try uninstalling on my test system one piece of software one at a time until the problem goes away.

BullDawg
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:20 PM
  • The final insult!  I have to make a choice use Perfect Disk and NOT the WHS Connector or USE WHS Connector and NOT Perfect Disk.  After spending many hours screwing around looks like I hit the brick wall.

From Raxo:  We've been able to reproduce the problem. Development is researching the cause and if possible, provide a fix as soon as they can. For now, we don't have a solution.

From Me:  I did not get your previous response(?) but I got this one. It is good to know that I was not imaging the problem! Will I be informed periodically of the status of the solution? Just curious, why me, other people out there say they are running W7 64-bit and WHS 2011 and do not have any issues and yet I get it on two different machines!

From Raxo:  Unfortunately our internal QA and bug tracking system is not tied to our external support ticketing system. So you won't be notified when the issue gets resolved. It may also turn it out that the problem is only resolvable on Microsoft's end.

From Raxo:  (Next day) The email you recently sent with the subject "Re: [310-15FFD2E6-39CB] Raxco Support Form PerfectDisk 12Professional" could not be processed. The ticket referenced by the response has already been closed and locked. Please submit a new ticket.

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Ken, my recommendation is to walk away from PerfectDisk and don't look back.

The performance improvements that disk optimization vendors tout in marketing literature are real, in that you can recreate the test results if you can recreate the initial conditions, but typically represent a level of fragmentation that the average user will never see in the real world, so they're very misleading. (They're effectively worst case scenarios.) Normal use of a PC, even for several years, will result in more performance loss from the amount of "stuff" that gets installed, uninstalled, updated, etc. over the PC's lifetime than fragmentation will cause over the same period.

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Not totally true - Perfect Disk plays around with the W7 boot files when you do a boot time defrag and it definitely improves the boot time from a standard harddrive.  However, I gave up and went to SSD's for all my boot drives and then you don't need or want a defrag program.  I guess is this modern world of fast pace change you just walk away from a technical issue rather than try to find the root cause and fix it.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Unfortunately, it's a truism of the industry that you will make more money from releasing a new version of your product than you will from fixing the bugs in the current version, even if the new version has the very same bugs. People just won't pay what it costs to develop more or less bug-free software.

But my recommendation to walk away from PerfectDisk isn't based on that. It's based on A) you have a conflict that Raxco isn't going to resolve immediately (and I don't know if Microsoft will even try to do so, though you should bug it on Connect anyway), and B) you aren't going to get as much benefit from PerfectDisk as the vendor wants you to believe.

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:21 PM